TV Home Forum

International Presentation

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
You can definitely see where Sky Movies / Cinema have had some of their inspiration from in the past.
DB
dbl
Seems ABC (US) have reintroduced using 'Now' bumpers between shows during primetime. Usually it would just crash into the next show.

Last edited by dbl on 13 May 2017 8:28pm - 2 times in total
WH
whoiam989
Finland's Yle Teema will shut down, and all its programmes will move to Swedish speaking Yle Fem, effectively renaming the latter "Yle Teema & Fem". I assume this is a cost-cutting measure?

Arrow http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/yle_merges_teema_and_fem_tv_channels/9509981
AG
AxG
So this is like the BBC merging BBC Four with S4C or BBC Alba.
GL
globaltraffic24
AxG posted:
So this is like the BBC merging BBC Four with S4C or BBC Alba.

It's in keeping with the wider Finnish media landscape. There have been a lot of cuts in recent years. YLE Fem has been scaled back continuously for some time now. It's partly due to evolving media consumption in Nordic countries. Ultimately Swedish speakers can easily access Swedish language TV in Finland. There's also an argument that most of the Swedish language TV consumed in Finland today is that shown on YLE Teema (Nordic Noir).

The downside to all of this is the fact that Finland-Svenska is a culture in its own right and the reduction in TV for this group feels like a move away from acknowledging an important aspect of Finnish society.

Progress, I guess...
JB
JasonB
I'm currently on holiday in the states and TBS have a strange way of starting some shows. Friends is currently on TBS and after one episode ended, the picture shrunk and the opening titles were played in a smaller box as the next episode started.
DB
dbl
I'm currently on holiday in the states and TBS have a strange way of starting some shows. Friends is currently on TBS and after one episode ended, the picture shrunk and the opening titles were played in a smaller box as the next episode started.

2017 example:

Yep, thats accelerated flow being used to the extreme with some cable networks. The broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, The CW) don't tend to be that extreme:
Last edited by dbl on 14 May 2017 5:57pm - 4 times in total
GO
gottago
Dreadful. Presumably so they can squeeze a few extra ads in per hour.
DB
dbl
Dreadful. Presumably so they can squeeze a few extra ads in per hour.

And also because they're scared of viewers switching over since US TV is hyper competitive. It's only since the 2016 refresh that ABC have re-introduced bumpers between shows in primetime.
JA
james-2001
When I was in the US in December I saw some episodes of Bewitched and The Andy Griffith Show on a couple of satellite/cable channels and it was bizarre, you didn't get the show's proper credits, just generic credits shown while a promo or the start of the next episode fills most of the screen (though they do show the original production company endcaps, though stil squashed, after the generic credits!). Hope that never spreads over here, I like to see the original credits for old TV shows, not some generic corporate hash.
HA
Hazimworks
Some kind of accelerated flow happens in Malaysia too but not severe. I can recall some programmes on Media Prima TV stations just cut off most of the credits to just a bit of them and production logo. The flow is: end of a programme, a bit of credits, production logo, end. NTV7 in the early 2000s does the credit squeezing to promote the news and sometimes squeeze the screen for some advertisement at the lower thirds during programmes.

One more point - Malaysian free-to-air TV stations don't air advertisements in between programmes.
Last edited by Hazimworks on 20 March 2017 11:09pm - 2 times in total
HA
Hazimworks
From another user in another thread in The Newsroom, Viu TV6 has launched, but the launch is simply a short ident and viewer advisory:

(sorry wrong post, I accidentally deleted the previous video in this post)
Last edited by Hazimworks on 1 April 2017 3:27am - 3 times in total

Newer posts