« Topics
Skygeek736 posts since 5 Feb 2014
London London
Apparently Steps are due to perform next week.

5678... or as it's it's also known... the likely audience by the end of the run.

Is that five-thousand-six-hundred-and-seventy-eight viewers, or between five and eight viewers?!

Largely depends when it's renowned light-entertainment broadcaster Gordon Ramsay's turn.
I sometimes speak ABOUT my employer, although not FOR them.
Larry the Loafer and Austin Tatious gave kudos
Charlie Wells3,567 posts since 26 Nov 2003 Moderator
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
I finally took the opportunity to watch the show via the hub.

With David Walliams (Friday) the opening monologue felt too long and somewhat forced. I wasn't keen on the background being used during it. His interviewing was fine and played similar to when he hosted Blankety Blank. The end YouTube clip reminded me of the Daily Show's 'moment of zen'.

With John Bishop's Friday show the monologue had moved to the desk, with a different background which seemed too low resolution. It was also worth noting the background no longer changed for diffrent interviews/features. His interviewing was fine as already tested with his show on W.

As others have mentioned I think part of the show's problem is having rotating hosts. What works with one host might not work with the next. The result is that every Monday may feel slightly disjointed add either an existing feature didn't really work with the new host, or there's the appearance of things being tinkered with. Come middle of the week when things are running smoother that host has probably already been slatted in the press due to the Monday, and there's not long left in their run. I dare say it then becomes harder to sign up presenters of future weeks, as illustrated by Mel & Sue.

In hindsight they would have been much better launching the show with preferably a fixed host (or at least only rotate on a fortnightly basis). Also launching in a post-news 10.30pm would have given the show chance to bed in away from the eye of the press, before moving to 10pm a month or so into the run.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
Brekkie27,111 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
In hindsight they would have been much better launching the show with preferably a fixed host (or at least only rotate on a fortnightly basis). Also launching in a post-news 10.30pm would have given the show chance to bed in away from the eye of the press, before moving to 10pm a month or so into the run.

I don't think hindsight was required in this case.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
TODAY (previously SWFC) 277 posts since 20 Apr 2008
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
David Walliams was quite wooden in his delivery, but the show as a whole I thought was much better than John Bishop's. There was more energy and the features broke things up a bit rather than it simply being another talk show. Although, I know this won't happen in the foreseeable, but the show would benefit from being at least 45 mins long in my opinion.

Just had a flick through the thread, has anything been mentioned about dropping the full title sequence during John's week? Was that purely for extra time? The whole opening each night last week (as mentioned earlier) felt quite lacklustre, it needed some more oomph I thought in places. Maybe Davina can bring more of that next week.
fanoftv7,309 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
David Walliams was quite wooden in his delivery, but the show as a whole I thought was much better than John Bishop's. There was more energy and the features broke things up a bit rather than it simply being another talk show. Although, I know this won't happen in the foreseeable, but the show would benefit from being at least 45 mins long in my opinion.

Just had a flick through the thread, has anything been mentioned about dropping the full title sequence during John's week? Was that purely for extra time? The whole opening each night last week (as mentioned earlier) felt quite lacklustre, it needed some more oomph I thought in places. Maybe Davina can bring more of that next week.

I totally agree. The big entrance, monologue, titles, interview worked better. The only thing I would have change to the schedule on the first week would have been to preview the guests at the top of the programme rather than after the titles showing them on the balcony before they came on to the stage.

Davina will definitely bring energy, hopefully she can deliver jokes in the opening monologue. Other than that I'm sure that she'll be a safe pair of hands.
Larry the Loafer4,352 posts since 2 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today
Davina will probably be prejudged because of her BBC chat show, and I'm sure some overpaid critic will bring it up for those who've forgotten about it. But she's a talented, experienced and very capable presenter. I'm expecting the show's third week to hit a peak, if it ever will.
watchingtv gave kudos
Larry the Loafer4,352 posts since 2 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today
I caught Saturday Night Takeaway last night and couldn't help but think that it's far more likely to provide the Late Late Show style YouTube success.

They're already pretty active on YouTube. Videos of Undercover et al have considerably high numbers of views, and as far as I can tell, Ant and Dec themselves have a lot of engagement with "popular" YouTube channels. There was that brief period one or two series' ago when they were proudly presenting two YouTube celebrities to partake in a challenge, and there was a sense of "who the f*** are you" from the audience. They haven't been seen since.
fanoftv7,309 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
When you look at the ratings for the US Late night chat shows ( http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/late-night-ratings-jan-9-13-2017-late-late-show-falls/ ), are they there because they have been so for years, is it because they now get more of a buzz online than live tv or because they can pack an hour slot with close to 20 minutes of adverts that even though they will be cheaper advertising slots they still generate revenue?

Ant & Dec have an online series, Ant & Dec vs. the YouTubers

As for future hosts, anyone else think that they should ask Jonathan Ross to front a week? He's well know for chat shows and a big name on itv's books, unless he's already turned it down.
Last edited by fanoftv on 12 March 2017 5:03pm - 2 times in total