TV Home Forum

The Nightly Show

8 weeks trail with ITV temporarily moving the NAT (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
ITV2 isn't BBC2, you can't promote a show from one to the other as the gulf in viewing figures is massive, even Celeb Juice would need to double its audience to be a hit on ITV1
NG
noggin Founding member
I think they should have nurtured this show on ITV2 at 10pm. That's a very popular channel

Hmm - in real terms it's NOT that popular. Sure it does well in multichannel - but in comparison to the main channels it really is in a different league.

A nightly ITV2 show would be trawling second or third tier guests - and be reality-show heavy I suspect. You won't get Norton / Ross / One Show - level guests on an ITV2 show unless there is a VERY good reason for them to appear...

(Few people realise that The One Show is the most popular interview show in the UK - and has been for quite a while)
Steve Williams, Lou Scannon and Night Thoughts gave kudos
ST
Stuart
It would have been a very different show if it was on ITV2, surely. No David Walliams and no Martin Clunes anyway.

But it would have been a trial, rather than an "announcement of something fab" . . . and we say that with Daybreak v1.

We all know how badly that went.
PC
p_c_u_k
There is possibly a case for doing a reality show-heavy chatshow on the likes of ITV2 if this doesn't come off, actually. There is an audience that loves the people from these shows, and these people remain popular because they're controversial, whereas A-listers are on to plug whatever they're on to plug and won't give anything else away unless the show is a runaway success/has an amazing host.

In terms of "there's no adverts, there's no point" - I'm assuming, though, that the average ratings for peaktime, including this show, are a good headline figure to show to advertisers. Otherwise yeah, why are they doing this?
AN
Andrew Founding member
It would have been a very different show if it was on ITV2, surely. No David Walliams and no Martin Clunes anyway.

But it would have been a trial, rather than an "announcement of something fab" . . . and we say that with Daybreak v1.

We all know how badly that went.

It'd be a trial that doesn't get anywhere, as you'd be talking about 500k tucked away at 10pm on ITV2, plus it'd be a very different show.
NG
noggin Founding member
There is possibly a case for doing a reality show-heavy chatshow on the likes of ITV2 if this doesn't come off, actually.

Yep - though that's a bit of a non sequitur. That's catering to a different, smaller, audience.
Quote:

There is an audience that loves the people from these shows, and these people remain popular because they're controversial, whereas A-listers are on to plug whatever they're on to plug and won't give anything else away unless the show is a runaway success/has an amazing host.

Isn't ITV aiming for the latter though - amazing host and runaway success? Appears they have neither at the moment...
FA
fanoftv
It was nice to have a musical performance feature on the nightly show although with it being on the roof and away from the audience it lacked the celebratory atmosphere post performance.

John's last show was a lot better in terms of how much they packed in, the guests also helped.

Interesting that the living advert feature is coming back next week with Davina, it may revert to being more like week one which necessarily wouldn't be a bad thing to help the pace of the programme. She also mentioned that a DJ friend will be helping her which could work in a similar way to Ellen & tWitch on the Ellen Show.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Apparently Steps are due to perform next week.
BR
Brekkie
The problem is that 10:45 would require people viewers to actively turn back over from BBC One to tune in. The Nightly Show would be sub 1m at 10:45, and News at Ten would still be rating below 2m at 10pm on ITV

Compared to sub-2m for The Nightly Show now and sub 1m for the news at 10.30. Viewers having to actively change channels isn't really an issue - most are managing to do that just fine at 10pm.

10pm on ITV2 is probably the UK equivalent of 12.37am on the main channel. Would be a different show but one that could be built around a host rather than having hosts shoehorned into a format. Viewing figures might be half but relatively speaking that would be a hit and they'd have no problem selling the ad slots. It could still have a same night repeat on ITV.
IS
Inspector Sands

ITV have done (and still do) much worse than The Nightly Show. It's a very hard format to get right first time, but I'm sure most people are just falling into the media's palm by declaring it an abomination.

Yes and the fact that it displaced a news programme means that the press would never give it a chance. Journalists defending their profession
UK
ukpetey
Watched something on Channel 5 last night about Ant & Dec, and a former suit at ITV was talking about the failure of Slap Bang. He said sometimes it's worth taking risks on television, and sometimes it doesn't work out. And he said something along the lines of it doesn't always work out, and who cares if it doesn't? Nobody dies.
ITV have done (and still do) much worse than The Nightly Show. It's a very hard format to get right first time, but I'm sure most people are just falling into the media's palm by declaring it an abomination.

The Nightly Show hasn't even been the lowest rated thing on primetime ITV this week, so I don't see the rush to write the whole thing off.

Lets claim down and look at it from the other points. I fully agree ITV should be taking risk, I still like Harry hill stars in your eyes. ITV went right out of it way promoting this show, ITV went out of it way to move the news, ITV went out of it way to big it up which is never had done. The thing with taking risks with this show, is its 8 full weeks, of test pilots really, and it needs to find its feet, but it doesn't help that ITV has cause some of the trouble itself.

Wiliams was just dire, Bishop improved it, but his speed is to slow, and his wife rightly told him off over stupid ideas. I and It would seem many others don't know what ITV want from this. Does it want to be like Colbert? or like the two jimmys? Personnel I don't think would work in the UK. Or does it want to have a more like James Corden or Craig Ferguson, which im my books would be better. Until ITV can decide what it wants it can't move forward. Set does it no favors, its need to find a better host for the last two weeks, it just can;t wheel names for the shake of names. To me it just feels like ITV has one idea but the viewers have another.

I meanwhile, have absolutely no idea! Rolling Eyes
BR
Brekkie
To be fair to the press they largely judged the show on its content rather than the slot. The criticism really didn't come until the show aired.

Not just journalists too - Harry Hill got a few digs in on The Last Leg last night.

Newer posts