« Topics
nwtv20037,981 posts since 5 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
Over-run of live squash on BT Sport 1 has pushed WTA tennis to BT Sport Extra / red button, first time I have seen them use a banner to direct viewers since I became a subscriber back in January.

I noticed that, the Sky EPG didn't update to reflect the overrun. Worth noting that there was live Europa League on 2, 3 and ESPN at the same time last night.
steve
steviegTVreturns
dvboy gave kudos
thegeek4,060 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Over-run of live squash on BT Sport 1 has pushed WTA tennis to BT Sport Extra / red button, first time I have seen them use a banner to direct viewers since I became a subscriber back in January.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them do that before either! The squash was going through a gallery at the studios - I don't think pres have that kind of graphic available to them.

Some changes for this evening - the tennis was originally scheduled to start on BTS Extra 2, but as the first match is Konta v Watson, it'll start on BT Sport 2 at 7pm. The Bundesliga 2 and Bundesliga matches move to Extra 2.

I believe there'll be some on-site presentation from Indian Wells from Monday.
dvboy8,517 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
I wonder if they put the graphic on at source as I saw another similar style graphic for something else shortly after. I note the squash is also available on Eurosport Player as part of their deal with Squash TV.

Yes they have swapped BT Sport 2 and BT Sport Extra 2 this evening, but on the Sky platform if you want to watch the Bundesliga you can only access it from BT Sport 3. Red button not working on BT Sport 2 and no mention of it either on air or on the EPG, hence:

https://twitter.com/BVBinBlackburn/status/840284966789500931

On site pres will be good, not sure BT have done that before for WTA except their first year when Clare Balding anchored from Birmingham (which is now back with Eurosport as rights to British tournaments are sold separately).
Last edited by dvboy on 10 March 2017 8:03pm
Blake Connolly1,542 posts since 21 Apr 2001
London London

I'm not sure I've ever seen them do that before either! The squash was going through a gallery at the studios - I don't think pres have that kind of graphic available to them.

That's right, that graphic would've been put up by the gallery, in pres we only have graphics that look like the following (I believe the galleries in Stratford also have these available):

These were in use quite a lot in recent weeks advising of rain delays in some of the tennis tournaments while highlights were being shown. Who'd have thought it could rain so much in Doha and Qatar?
dvboy8,517 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
These were in use quite a lot in recent weeks advising of rain delays in some of the tennis tournaments while highlights were being shown. Who'd have thought it could rain so much in Doha and Qatar?

Were they? Don't remember seeing them. Seems to be a bit hit and miss. There's still a lot more BT Sport could do to help the viewers.

Last night with the Bundesliga being really hard to find due to the late schedule change (which was not reflected on Virgin Media EPG) and the red button function to get to it being on a different channel to what it was originally on, there was nothing at all broadcast to help viewers find it.

Linking it with the Serie A coverage on BT Sport 3 kind of makes sense initially but the best solution would have been to make the red button available on BT Sport 2 AND 3, with the multiscreen options being WTA, Serie A and Bundesliga so people can switch between them no matter which channel they accessed it from.

Sky Sports seem to be very good at informing viewers of channel changes and delays, I remember when Manchester United v Bournemouth was cancelled last year due to the bomb scare, there was a graphic on screen permanently during the buildup while they simulcast another match from one of their other channels.
Last edited by dvboy on 11 March 2017 11:26am
thegeek4,060 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London

Were they? Don't remember seeing them. Seems to be a bit hit and miss. There's still a lot more BT Sport could do to help the viewers.

They were, I saw them! They could have been worded better, though - it was "WTA is in rain delay", or something that similarly jargony.

It would be nice if pres could do the kind of slug that galleries can, but I think the variable length of the background would pose a problem with the sort of graphics kit they have at Ericsson.