TV Home Forum

The Nightly Show

8 weeks trail with ITV temporarily moving the NAT (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
David & John have lacked energy in my opinion, something that chat show hosts need, but then again as it's not their show for long they won't care for the show. At least Davina will bring energy.

I said previously in the thread that it feels less structured and lacks pace this week; the two shows so far with John have had longer monologues and one guest and felt a big dragged out. He didn't seem to turn on the fun for the dog bit either. Compared to last week or how much Graham fitted in V Graham Norton's half an hour slot and it makes it seem even slower.

You miss the monologue, but skim through the episode and it's filled with energy and features.
BR
Brekkie
JCB posted:
I think they did a world cup podcast a few years ago. The dynamic probably would be different and should be as, having watched clips on youtube recently, some of the laddish banter was pretty horrific and hasn't aged well at all. The format though is timeless and could easily work again. Maybe with 2 different comedians?

Didn't James Corden do a show on ITV4 for either the Euros or World Cup?
DC
DCI02
JCB posted:
I think they did a world cup podcast a few years ago. The dynamic probably would be different and should be as, having watched clips on youtube recently, some of the laddish banter was pretty horrific and hasn't aged well at all. The format though is timeless and could easily work again. Maybe with 2 different comedians?

James Corden's World Cup Live, which aired during the 2010 World Cup.
FA
fanoftv
JCB posted:

James Corden's World Cup Live, which aired during the 2010 World Cup.

Not much has changed in James' delivery either. Considering this was 7 years ago it had a lot more energy on itv than the nightly show seems to have, then again I suppose it's a case of appealing to the football fans straight after the match rather than the viewers coming out of Broadchurch or Benidorm.
:-(
A former member
THis is getting worse, I hope his wife tell him again what was that ****..... What has happened to Zippys voice?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Thinking about it, they missed a trick not having Paul O'Grady do a late night show instead of the tea time slot he used to occupy.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The sofa looks different again. This show has had more sofas than hosts.
:-(
A former member
Thinking about it, they missed a trick not having Paul O'Grady do a late night show instead of the tea time slot he used to occupy.

I think there should have given Paul one of the week, it would have shown up everyone else..
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs Brown gets a week. I know she's a BBC face but she managed a spot on Ant & Dec last week, and she has a chat show coming up so it would be a good way of breaking her in for that.
VM
VMPhil

Err…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_O'Grady_Live
WH
Whataday Founding member
I obviously meant a late night show as in five nights a week. And late night.
VM
VMPhil
Well, he didn't do very well on a primetime talk show once a week, I doubt he'd have done much better five nights a week in an even later slot (and if I recall, one of the reasons he ended the 5pm show was because he didn't want to do a daily show anymore - though he briefly came back a couple of years ago)

Newer posts