TV Home Forum

New look Top Gear

with Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc, et al . . . (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Post Clarkson et al, will it remain "one of the BBC's most profitable franchises"? Or an embarrassment?

Even if they stopped making any more new episodes, it would still bring in some money for a good few years yet
UK
ukpetey
I won't be watching 2017's like I didn't watch 2016's. It should have remained Clarkson/May/Hammond, or been killed off.

Or it could just carry on, and you can pretend it's dead. Doesn't really cause any detriment to you if it carries on existing, does it?

Of course it could carry on, and indeed it does. I was just giving my opinion, which on a forum about tv, and in a topic titled "New look Top Gear", I had considered was the appropriate place.
MS
Mr-Stabby
Then when Evans was inevitably fired, anything after would seem like an improvement.

I seem to recall Evans resigned, or are you suggesting that he quickly resigned seconds before being fired ?

Believe it or not, that is what i'm suggesting yes Smile
NW
nwtv2003
Post Clarkson et al, will it remain "one of the BBC's most profitable franchises"? Or an embarrassment?

Even if they stopped making any more new episodes, it would still bring in some money for a good few years yet

Says it all when the BBC released Top Gear from A to Z (broadcast in December 2015) on DVD, the Evans series was released on DVD on the quiet.

I don't think Evans was the wrong choice, but he tried to be like Clarkson too much and it backfired. As much as I hated the first show of theirs I do think they should have been given more time to settle in.

LeBlanc and the other 2 could make it the best show ever, but they are always going to be compared to Clarkson, Hammond and May who set the bar so high, and there'll be some (very few I'd have thought) who want to watch The Grand Tour but can't for whatever reason who will be disappointed with Top Gear, whatever they do.
MA
Markymark
Then when Evans was inevitably fired, anything after would seem like an improvement.

I seem to recall Evans resigned, or are you suggesting that he quickly resigned seconds before being fired ?

Believe it or not, that is what i'm suggesting yes Smile

Ah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vXd9x7jhOA

27 days later

:-(
A former member
Well that seem to have gone alot better that last years revamp.
Lou Scannon and bkman1990 gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
I have to agree that was a very good start with the new trio. I loved the new set & titles as they have a very modern look.

The chemistry between them was fine but it just needs a bit more improvement in their continuity to make it work perfectly.

I will definitely watch next weeks show for developing a further interest in this version compared to when Evans as the helm last series.

Evans was completely out of his depth when he took over as host from last series. There was no going back after his poor effort.
:-(
A former member

The chemistry between them was fine but it just needs a bit more improvement in their continuity to make it work perfectly.

Evans was completely out of his depth when he took over as host from last series. There was no going back after his poor effort.

To be fair the chemsity will take a little bit of time to get sorted, hopeful Matt will stay with Top gear beyond 2018, he would be a fool not to. At least Evans was a lightening rod, and took all the bad press with him.
IS
Inspector Sands
Some iffy audio editing on the studio segments, including a decent funny line being lost by a cut to a wide shot and out of context applause.

Apart from that I thought it was pretty good. The last 15 minutes seemed like a real return to form, you could just see Richard Hammond chasing after a runaway taxi
VM
VMPhil
Some iffy audio editing on the studio segments, including a decent funny line being lost by a cut to a wide shot and out of context applause.

Watching back my recording, and it appears the subtitles were done live. Wonder if this was a really late edit?
IS
Inspector Sands

Watching back my recording, and it appears the subtitles were done live. Wonder if this was a really late edit?

We noticed that too, sometimes they were spot on and sometimes drifted off and looked live.

Yes that sounds right, maybe there was a late edit to cut out something.
RD
rdd Founding member
The logo seems to have reverted back to the late 1990s version, without the spinning cog.

Also the Stig was, for the first time in a long time nowhere to be seen (save as a hanging portrait in the set) though they did mention he would have done a Power Lap in the Ferrari if the conditions had been right.

Newer posts