The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JR
JRY
There's some nice editorial changes which have been made here, not just ones in term of branding too. Great first in-depth piece by Alex Crawford.

The Big Ben style titles are lovely, but they seem choppy - and the biggest gripe is the non-existent Sky News theme music. I hate to hark back to 2001-2005, or 2005- era, but then, there was a very clear signature theme tune, and that is something which is clearly lacking at the moment. It works fine for the general TOTH, which is a few seconds long, and graphically is fairly simple, however when you've got these wonderful sweeping shots of the clock face of Big Ben, the lack of a signature theme makes the titles look poor.

I'm surprised the 'real' clock face backdrop which was used at 10pm isn't used throughout the whole programme, either. I actually thought it would stay on screen throughout and would reflect the time. I think that would've looked nicer.
NT
NewbieTvFan
Don't you think it's really odd looking at Anna on the left and not in the middle or right?
BA
bilky asko
The huge amount of white in the background makes it abundantly clear the screen isn't bright enough. The real backdrop looks better.
TV
TV Dan
And odd how the background clock image doesn't run to the floor so you have an odd cut off to white.

The whole studio feels too bright for an evening bulletin.
LO
Londoner
JRY posted:
The Big Ben style titles are lovely, but they seem choppy - and the biggest gripe is the non-existent Sky News theme music.

The programme is definitely missing a sonic identity to match the visual one.
bilky asko and aconnell gave kudos
WO
Worzel
News at Ten was OK.

However, I wish they'd lower the desk to coffee table height for the press preview in the glass box.
NE
Newsroom24
It’s always difficult to know what to expect when a new programme launches but I was pleasantly surprised by Sky News at 10 tonight.

Though it was a fairly simple opening sequence, I felt that it was appropriate for the programme – not too flashy! I also liked the clock-face background as it fitted in fairly well with the design and colours of the studio as a whole. The blue lower third branding also looked good and was consistent with other Sky News programmes.

That said, I felt that the programme didn’t have enough exclusive stories, which may have helped it to distinguish it from Sky’s other programming throughout the rest of the day.

Overall though, I felt that it was good and is a positive edition to the schedule, though the question remains as to whether the rebrand will really improve the viewing figures for the slot – only time will tell!
RH
richard h
They had a nice clock face wipe during news at 10

I agree with the earlier poster that it looks odd how the backdrop is cut off behind Anna and its odd how they use the other shot of the clock face at the start and end of the programme

its even harder to read anything on the front pages other than the main headline

A little touch I like is that the clock behind Anna now is showing the correct time
Last edited by richard h on 28 February 2017 12:25am
DE
derek500
So very likely that Press Preview will come from the Glass Box Mon-Fri then?

I thought this new show was on every day, including weekends?
II
IrelandIsle
I always used to watch Sky News at 10pm and the preview preview every evening and honestly I thought it was Sky's strongest output across the day and the time I used to watch Sky News the most.

Unfortunately the theme and the TOTH is extremely poor and does not fit, the awful echo like sound is now taking place of the good sound that I'm used to hearing at night the background is dark and depressing and the foreground too bright, throughout the bulletin and the clock behind Anna Botting looks just weird especially with her standing on the left.

As for the Press Preview, it just feels so formal now and less natural. The big screen in the new studio is not as good for these segments in comparison to the old screen and a sofa and a more relaxed set-up would be much better suited to such debate, the old set-up was so much much better for it.

Sky news is losing any identity and character it had and it's sad to see.
TV
TV Dan
The glass box has to be looking its worse during the 9pm and 11pm hours - the backdrop on the big screen is too bright and just pointless.
WO
Worzel
I always used to watch Sky News at 10pm and the preview preview every evening and honestly I thought it was Sky's strongest output across the day and the time I used to watch Sky News the most.

Unfortunately the theme and the TOTH is extremely poor and does not fit, the awful echo like sound is now taking place of the good sound that I'm used to hearing at night the background is dark and depressing and the foreground too bright, throughout the bulletin and the clock behind Anna Botting looks just weird especially with her standing on the left.

As for the Press Preview, it just feels so formal now and less natural. The big screen in the new studio is not as good for these segments in comparison to the old screen and a sofa and a more relaxed set-up would be much better suited to such debate, the old set-up was so much much better for it.

Sky news is losing any identity and character it had and it's sad to see.

I would assume the Glass Box is only the temporary home for the Press Preview until the other new studio is ready.

Ironically Andrew Pierce mentioned the studio tonight, with Anna saying its the 4th 'studio' they've used together. I suspect she meant set. That will be 5 come the summer then.

I think lowering the desk to coffee table height might help to ease off the overly formal look to the PP though.

Newer posts