TV Home Forum

TVS Post-1993

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IN
Interceptor
Remember that ITV Gameshow documentry that aired a few years back- it had some broadcast quality clips of TVS Catchphrase in it, so someone must know where the tapes are and was able to get them to use in that programme.

I can guess the route from archive to screen with that one.

Catchphrase has a lot of connections to Action Time.
One deeply suspects that all editions of Catchphrase (even the TVS ones) were brought by Action Time, and then Action Time was brought by Carlton - so, therefore now sitting around in the ITV Archive in Leeds.

It most definitely was not purchased outright by Action Time, but it's entirely possible they had clean, high quality copies.
SW
Steve Williams
Remember that ITV Gameshow documentry that aired a few years back- it had some broadcast quality clips of TVS Catchphrase in it, so someone must know where the tapes are and was able to get them to use in that programme.

I don't especially want to carry on this never-ending discussion, but a cheap ITV documentary about game shows, however entertaining it was, is hardy going to be delving through acres of paperwork and old tapes to find old clips of Catchphrase, especially given that in the programme it was simply used for a few seconds. Clearly, they were very easy to get hold of.
JA
james-2001
Challenge tried to get them a few years ago to show them and were unable to though.
:-(
A former member
There even ask people on the old forum there had. I think there tried again a few years later on Facebook but could get never a straight answer out of anyone.
RI
Riaz
I don't especially want to carry on this never-ending discussion, but a cheap ITV documentary about game shows, however entertaining it was, is hardy going to be delving through acres of paperwork and old tapes to find old clips of Catchphrase, especially given that in the programme it was simply used for a few seconds. Clearly, they were very easy to get hold of.

That is a valid point. Does it hint that ITV not only has broadcast quality TVS era Catchphrase in its possession but also the rights to the programme?
JA
james-2001
Well I doubt they'd have the rights even if they have tapes- otherwise Challenge would have found that out when they were looking and wrapped it up pretty quickly. Being able to use the clips in the documentry would have been possible under fair use rules without having any rights- showing full episodes would be another thing.
XI
Xilla

I can guess the route from archive to screen with that one.

Catchphrase has a lot of connections to Action Time.
One deeply suspects that all editions of Catchphrase (even the TVS ones) were brought by Action Time, and then Action Time was brought by Carlton - so, therefore now sitting around in the ITV Archive in Leeds.

It most definitely was not purchased outright by Action Time, but it's entirely possible they had clean, high quality copies.

The TVS era clips Victor Lewis-Smith used for his "dirty minded Roy Walker" skit on TV Offal were credited to Action Time so there may be something in that, or at least there was in 1998.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Action Time produced Family Catchphrase which used the TVS opening titles and music - so there must have been some arrangement to do that (although the show had always been produced in association with Action Time)

Newer posts