TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2017

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Remember that BIG "P" As long as Virgin paid for that stuff and ITV told the Ofcom in advance there the flight company etc etc
WL
W1LL
Remember that BIG "P" As long as Virgin paid for that stuff and ITV told the Ofcom in advance there the flight company etc etc

Ah right, I didn't catch the start of the programme, was there the product placement symbol at the start of it then?
A former member
From the New promo style thread And thats a BIG P and pretty clear for all to see Very Happy
Just noticed the ITV logo is back in the titles of Take Away.

http://tig.gy/?m=itvlogo.jpg
VM
VMPhil
The PP logo is easy to miss though as it's often translucent and appearing on a busy background.
HC
Hatton Cross
Hmm. I've always argued that having the PP logo at the start or on the break bumpers, is pointless because that's not where the paid promotional items are seen.

The PP really should be on screen as the paid for promotion is on the screen - that way there is no argument, or stops any attempt by either the broadcaster or advertiser at 'hiding' or 'blurring the lines' of the promotion. as straight forward content.
SW
Steve Williams
Not quite sure what the point was behind making people wave at their window when Scarlett just picked the house she was closest to, especially when there were houses down the road lit up to oblivion.

Yeah, I wonder if they might have got in trouble for that, as they announced you had to stand by your windows to win, and then someone who wasn't won. I liked how they said they were watching it on a delay to fast forward through the adverts, mind, because I do that, and also in case one of them dies during Ant vs Dec. Of course, the whole concept of putting all your lights on was taken straight from Don't Forget Your Toothbrush. I liked Scarlett on it, though, I've never watched Gogglebox or saw her on I'm A Celebrity but she was very quick-witted and likeable.

Only thing missing really was the bit where they bring someone down from the audience. There was the couple whose parents were there for their honeymoon but that felt a bit half-arsed, as if they'd filmed it but it turned out to be not very good.

Yeah, I was assuming that was going to lead to something a bit more substantial but it never did, and maybe it is as you say and it turned out to be unusable. It's a thing they've done before anyway, though it seemed a bit elaborate to chuck it away like that. In a way it's quite good they're prepared to do that rather than drag stuff out for the sake of it, but it made the beginning of the show seem a bit of a non-evenr.

Ant v Dec isn't too bad when they keep to the same level of abseiling down the South Bank studios, as opposed to playing Catchphrase with Stephen Mulhern.

Well, I would always go for the latter, partly because of the dying thing, but also because I just want to see the pair of them mucking about and ad-libbing. The thing about Ant vs Dec is that you can do virtually anything in it. I used to love the ones where they became weathermen and stuff, just because it was great fun to see them do all the training.
BR
Brekkie
Hmm. I've always argued that having the PP logo at the start or on the break bumpers, is pointless because that's not where the paid promotional items are seen.

The PP really should be on screen as the paid for promotion is on the screen - that way there is no argument, or stops any attempt by either the broadcaster or advertiser at 'hiding' or 'blurring the lines' of the promotion. as straight forward content.

That's fine for a show like SNT where it's in one package, but other shows have the product placement as part of the set so it would basically have to be on screen throughout those scenes.
A former member
Emmerdale and the chips, if you really look your start to see the chips everywhere.....
JB
JasonB
Great show. Never really seen Scarlett Moffat .

She seems a bit over rated.
WH
Whataday Founding member

The last time ITV was live from a Disneyland on a Saturday night was back in April 1992 when what was EuroDisney opened.

And if memory serves - it also fell foul of the ITC/BCC and had a 'undue prominence to Euro Disney' complaint upheld against it.

I thought they were treading a bit close to the line once again last night, the feature just felt like an extended promotion for Disneyland and Virgin Atlantic.

Disneyland product placement has got several companies into trouble previously. I'm thinking TV-am and This Morning.
SW
Steve Williams
Disneyland product placement has got several companies into trouble previously. I'm thinking TV-am and This Morning.

Of course, SMTV also managed to get into trouble for product placement once, as they ran an Action Man competition and Ant accidentally managed to say the words "Action Man" about a hundred times. He said he didn't even realise he was doing it.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In hindsight you wonder how the BBC ever thought DisneyTime every bank holiday was acceptable

Newer posts