The Gallery

BBC News At Ten - Music Revamp

Tarting Up The Ten (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KI
Kiffer

Hello all!

I decided that the BBC News At Ten music could do with tarting up a bit. I always thought the BBC missed a trick by not having a distinctive three-note mnemonic saying 'BBC' in the titles.

So what have I done? Well I've tried to remain as faithful to the original as possible, so worked from there.

However, this isn't a remix so everything you hear has been created from scratch. I've added more strings, beats and got rid of the annoying 4-second rising preamble. I've also added some toms (drums) at the start as well as the end (like the original), different percussion and a totally different bassline.

There's other stuff in there, too - but have a listen and tell me what you think. I could have spent a lot more time refining these tracks, but time is money! Wink

BBC News At Ten - Headline Bed

BBC News At Ten - Main Titles

BBC News At Ten - Closing Titles

BBC News At Ten - Obit Titles (in case the Queen dies!)

Let me know what you think. Enjoy!
MO
mokked
Hi Kiffer. Fantastic bed! I love it... could you make the main titles/closing titles longer and add bass and drum... a big piece something which stands out... current main titles seem a little wimpy...

But bed is FANTASTIC
MD
mdtauk
Great pieces of music, and good choice of samples/synths. I would say however, that it feels more like a regional news programme, rather than the premiere BBC News bulletin.

Oh and with the Obit version, what worked in the past is that the obit music was given time to build so a montage of footage could be used for titles, and the music spent time in the minor keys, to match the mournful purpose.

But a great listen, and certainly hope to hear more in the future!
KI
Kiffer
could you make the main titles/closing titles longer and add bass and drum... a big piece something which stands out...

There's already two separate basslines in there. A third might be overkill Wink
LO
loganl0
Very good work! I don't have any criticism, mainly because I'm not a very musical type person. Good job on these! Smile
KI
Kiffer
Oh and with the Obit version, what worked in the past is that the obit music was given time to build so a montage of footage could be used for titles, and the music spent time in the minor keys, to match the mournful purpose.

To be honest, I didn't think too deeply (i.e. not at all) about it being used for montages. I also failed to consider spending time in the 'minor keys' - whatever that means. But thanks for your input! Wink
MD
mdtauk

To be honest, I didn't think too deeply (i.e. not at all) about it being used for montages. I also failed to consider spending time in the 'minor keys' - whatever that means. But thanks for your input! Wink

Well Minor chords as opposed to Major ones. Sad sounding music.
TA
tae
Hi Kiffer, the links aren't working for me. Have the tracks been taken down?
BR
bristoliandude
Why can't the BBC ever come up with things like this? Rather than the same old stuffy crap they've had for years.

We pay enough for the TV licence. The BBC is truly awful.

ITV is much better for news.
DB
dbl
I like it, it's almost as if Royksopp did a remix:

I agree about adding minor keys to the Orbit verson.
BA
Bail Moderator
If I didn't know better... I'd say these reminded me of work I heard many years ago by a previous member...
JT
JamesTV
I think your work here is great, you have created music which is faithful to the original, but has your own take on it which is really nice. I'm not sure if it's me but your PIPS (beeps) in your main titles from about 0:05-0:12 sound a bit out of tune, but they're almost there.
I also think your closing titles should be a bit longer in duration with more build-up, but other than that, great music!

Newer posts