« Topics
62305818,827 posts since 19 Aug 2005
STV Central Reporting Scotland
Pretty much all sport shown in the nations can be watched via the connected red button now. I guess as assumed here the BBC Sport Scotland budget comes from BBC Scotland rather than BBC Sport, but it's probably the opposite for BBC News.

To be honest I don't see why a "Scottish Nine" requires 80 new journalists considering it should largely be a repackaged Reporting Scotland with further reports pulled from the network to cover UK and International News, while some UK reports may need repackaging to be more Scottish focused.

I'm thinking the 80 journos wont just be working on the 9. They'll probably be involved in other shows, such as Timeline - currently just launched weekly on BBC2, but almost definitely in-line for a wider run on this new channel. Donalda Mackinnon also told MSPs this week that she's working behind the scenes to split Radio Scotland into two stations - one news/talk and one music. A full time news station will need to take some of those journalist resources.

There cant because who going to get the sport? and there is only two freq MW and FM.
Is the next post dreaded?
globaltraffic24331 posts since 23 Jun 2013
There are a number of possibilities. Firstly, a frequency reorgination could enable a split on FM. Almost ever town and city can get Radio Scotland and Radio nan Gaidheal on a number of different frequencies. Another option is DAB only for the music station. DAB switchover is anticipated to take place after deregulation in around 5 years so a lack of available audience wouldn't be an issue. Besides it was her words rather than mine so it will inevitably go ahead.
dvboy8,244 posts since 11 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Pretty much all sport shown in the nations can be watched via the connected red button now. I guess as assumed here the BBC Sport Scotland budget comes from BBC Scotland rather than BBC Sport, but it's probably the opposite for BBC News.

To be honest I don't see why a "Scottish Nine" requires 80 new journalists considering it should largely be a repackaged Reporting Scotland with further reports pulled from the network to cover UK and International News, while some UK reports may need repackaging to be more Scottish focused.

I'm thinking the 80 journos wont just be working on the 9. They'll probably be involved in other shows, such as Timeline - currently just launched weekly on BBC2, but almost definitely in-line for a wider run on this new channel. Donalda Mackinnon also told MSPs this week that she's working behind the scenes to split Radio Scotland into two stations - one news/talk and one music. A full time news station will need to take some of those journalist resources.

There cant because who going to get the sport? and there is only two freq MW and FM.

The sport would surely be on the news/talk version, I imagine it would be like a Scottish version of Radio 5 Live.

Radio Scotland is on many frequencies that overlap areas and there are probably several spare ones that can be used as you don't have the issue of multiple BBC local stations all overlapping like in England because the Radio Scotland frequencies can cover bigger areas.

They could also launch it on DAB only. Radio Cymru recently had a temporary extra DAB station.
commseng30 posts since 8 Dec 2016
London London
I don't imagine that there are any ideas what the Radio Scotland music station would cover, but would it be Scottish music, or UK / international music with Scottish presentation around it?

I can see the argument for talk more than music, as surely Scottish musicians are covered by the existing music based BBC national stations?
Inspector Sands10,629 posts since 25 Aug 2004

I'm thinking the 80 journos wont just be working on the 9. They'll probably be involved in other shows, such as Timeline - currently just launched weekly on BBC2, but almost definitely in-line for a wider run on this new channel

Until recently they had their own Newsnight, so it's not as if they haven't already made a long evening news programme. That wouldn't have taken nothing like 80 people and had nothing repackaged
Richard599 posts since 22 Apr 2012
Granada North West Today

I presume the "news/talk" station will get the sport, similar to 5 live.
noggin12,115 posts since 26 Jun 2001
The folk in the Metro believe there is some link between the so called Second Indy ref and this draft idea.

Ye p - my first thought was that this is BBC Scotland repositioning itself to become the SBC post-referendum AND to counter some independence supporters claims that the BBC is the EBC...
globaltraffic24331 posts since 23 Jun 2013
I don't imagine that there are any ideas what the Radio Scotland music station would cover, but would it be Scottish music, or UK / international music with Scottish presentation around it?

I can see the argument for talk more than music, as surely Scottish musicians are covered by the existing music based BBC national stations?

As Inspector Sands said, it would likely to take a similar format to Radio Scotland Music Extra which ran for the week up to St Andrews Day. The station was a little bit rusty around the edges, but it had great potential. I don't think a full-time station would go 100% Scottish music, but a 60-40 rule, as is the case with most French radio stations would give it that point of difference over commercial rivals. The big selling point for me during the trial was the sense of it being a credible, 'grown-up' radio station. It felt like a less pretentious 6 Music. Lots of new artists, great Scottish bands and musicians and some good interviews.

I've spoken to a few friends in commercial radio and they're actually quite excited at the prospect of its arrival. Deregulation carries a risk that most Scottish programming could - at least legally - be lost, so the BBC providing Scottish music content could force the hand of commercial broadcasters to stick with Scottish content, raising the bar while also offering listeners more choice.

All-in-all, some good progress for Scottish viewers and listeners.