TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think that's slightly unfair to Kaleidoscope to be honest. It's a non profit organisation and they probably have better things to do than the website database which by its own admission is "incomplete". They donate their profits from their TV festivals (and other events) to the RNLI and have plenty to do with the Missing Believed Wiped events with the BFI as well as all the major broadcasters.
JO
Jon
I think that's slightly unfair to Kaleidoscope to be honest. It's a non profit organisation and they probably have better things to do than the website database which by its own admission is "incomplete".

As long as that doesn't include running TV channels.
Hatton Cross and dvboy gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Challenge have just aired "The Best of Strike It Lucky", presumably the back end of Series 7. Has this been on Challenge before?

It includes at least one of the Christmas specials as well, a potential forerunner to the Kids Say the Funniest Things show that Barrymore went on to do. I don't suppose these(Strike it Lucky Xmas specials) have been seen in full since original transmission?

The Best of episode at least highlighted how great this show is. Not for the game part, admittedly, which has been alluded to as being crap many times previously and the format only lasted one year in the US, but for the banter. And Barrymore.
JA
james-2001
And you can see from the clips in there just how awful that set that only lasted for the one series was- you can see why they went back to the old one.
IN
Interceptor
I caught an episode of 1994 Wheel of Fortune today. I was amazed by how poor the video quality was - it looked like a second generation VHS copy. Havey the all looked this bad?

It's ridiculous that something made in the 90s looks so poor.
JA
james-2001
CBS are responsible for distributing Wheel Of Fortune, not STV. Maybe their copies are several generations down from the masters (which I assume STV still have?).
IN
Interceptor
I wonder if that has something to do with the weird logo which appears to cover a cue dot in the first series.

The earlier (and later) ones certainly look nowhere near as bad as this episode did.
:-(
A former member
Yes the copies Challenge have are from CBS USA. I do believe STV have the original masters, because back for its 50th birthday there had clips and there look far better, cleaner.
IN
Interceptor
Yes the copies Challenge have are from CBS USA. I do believe STV have the original masters, because back for its 50th birthday there had clips and there look far better, cleaner.

So do STV still have rights to them? Do they also have distribution rights or is that CBS exclusively?
:-(
A former member

So do STV still have rights to them? Do they also have distribution rights or is that CBS exclusively?

Yes STV still hold the UK rights to the series, and wish there could bring it back, but that up to ITV. Distribution rights, I dare say there are retained with CBS. If STV wanted to broadcast the older stuff on ITV I think there could, but why would there?
IN
Interceptor

Yes STV still hold the UK rights to the series, and wish there could bring it back, but that up to ITV. Distribution rights, I dare say there are retained with CBS. If STV wanted to broadcast the older stuff on ITV I think there could, but why would there?

Yes, makes sense.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Surprised to hear some clips of Stuart Hall on the channel a few days ago, as part of a Ninja Warrior compilation episode they presumably made several years ago. Interestingly it was hosted by Jim North (first time I'd actually see what he looks like!), who ended up redubbing all of Hall's episodes after the arrest.

Newer posts