TV Home Forum

The Nightly Show

8 weeks trail with ITV temporarily moving the NAT (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
Why didn't ITV consider running a half-hour chat show over a decade ago? They could have got more out of the Frank Skinner Show by making it a half-hour programme at 10:00 (i.e. more episodes) instead of it being an hour long, which meant that each episode had to be split for the News at 10:30.

The Frank Skinner Show was a half hour programme - 35 minutes with adverts - when they originally poached it, they only expanded it to an hour a few years later. And the reason was presumably because it was cheaper to make an hour long programme rather than twice as many half hour programmes.

Compared to who? They probably do more light entertainment than anyone else, and pretty much never pull shows that don't perform.

ITV's entire success over sixty years has been pretty much based on light entertainment.

I'm not against a Nightly Chat show at all - indeed I've been saying here for years that post-News at Ten on ITV is the obvious slot for one and I stand by that. All moving News at Ten does is send viewers to the BBC, making an already competitive slot even more competitive to launch The Nightly Show in.

I don't understand this argument. The ratings already suggest that more viewers are being sent to the BBC now they have the news at the same time because they like BBC News better. The aim is to maintain more of the many, many viewers who are trying to avoid the news at ten o'clock because it's boring. The other benefit is that if people stick around for The Nightly Show they might then stick around for the news afterwards where it doesn't have any other mainstream competition.
PC
p_c_u_k
As expected, Scotland Tonight shunts back to 11pm as a result of the change. Not catastrophic I suppose, it was the old start time for Newsnight Scotland.
:-(
A former member
As expected, Scotland Tonight shunts back to 11pm as a result of the change. Not catastrophic I suppose, it was the old start time for Newsnight Scotland.

I bet STV will be keep a close eye on the ratings of everything after 10pm, If that chat show doesn't get the viewers and Scotland Tonight goes down I wouldn't rule out a swap.
VM
VMPhil
Walked past a bus stop earlier with the advert for this featuring the tagline 'New at 10. News at 10.30'.
UBox, newsman1 and fanoftv gave kudos
JO
Jon

I bet STV will be keep a close eye on the ratings of everything after 10pm, If that chat show doesn't get the viewers and Scotland Tonight goes down I wouldn't rule out a swap.

I can't see a Scotland Tonight proving a better draw north of the border at 10pm.

I do agree that they will be keeping a close eye on ratings. It's kinda critical within the business of commercial television.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Why didn't ITV consider running a half-hour chat show over a decade ago? They could have got more out of the Frank Skinner Show by making it a half-hour programme at 10:00 (i.e. more episodes) instead of it being an hour long, which meant that each episode had to be split for the News at 10:30.

The Frank Skinner Show was a half hour programme - 35 minutes with adverts - when they originally poached it, they only expanded it to an hour a few years later. And the reason was presumably because it was cheaper to make an hour long programme rather than twice as many half hour programmes.

Didn't that occur at the same time they upped the amount of ad breaks but shortened them to one minute long?
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
The first Nightly Show YouTube online sketch has appeared....

And a shot of the set appeared a few days ago on twitter :

AL
alexhb01
It's probably been mentioned here before, but will this be pre-recorded or live?
VM
VMPhil
I think they'd have let you know it was live if that was the case.
DC
DCI02
It's probably been mentioned here before, but will this be pre-recorded or live?

It's filmed at 6pm on the day it's aired.
FA
fanoftv
Similar to the American programmes it will be filmed earlier in the evening 'as live'.
TV
TVMan
Walked past a bus stop earlier with the advert for this featuring the tagline 'New at 10. News at 10.30'.

I assume it was similar to this:

Newer posts