TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland to launch new channel

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PC
p_c_u_k
When will BBC England be launched? Rolling Eyes

Presumably when the BBC decides to treat England as one region, like it does with other nations, and gives it one single English language radio station at the same time.

I share the fears about the 9pm Scottish news show being lost, the more I think about it. I'm still struggling to think of a new Scottish TV channel as a bad thing though.

I do think the BBC should decentralise and I do believe opportunities should be there for talent from across the UK who either don't fancy or can't move to London to prove themselves. If executed properly, this is one small step down that line. It's not all about news, the broader representation of different parts of the UK is at stake as well.
AN
Andrew Founding member
So River City will presumably move to BBC Scotland at 8pm, with Holby City airing on BBC One Scotland in line with network. Will the viewers follow it, is it like the BBC moving EastEnders from BBC One to BBC Three as was?

I think it all sounds like a well funded version of Local TV. Sounds good on paper, but unless the local programming is scheduled front and centre next door to the national favourites on a major channel, not many people find them and watch them. And we all know what has happened with Local TV.

I wonder why they were so against a Scottish Six?
PC
p_c_u_k
I think BBC Scotland would be mad to move River City over to BBC Scotland. (oh God this naming is confusing)

They'll want to put some of the bigger shows on the new channel to get some viewers to move over, but they'll surely want to keep their biggest shows on the flagship channel. Much like BBC One network wouldn't be moving Planet Earth over to BBC Four because it's a documentary.

Having said that - it would be a very good run-in to the new news programme.

In terms of a Scottish Six - it's politically loaded. The idea of a flagship bulletin not coming from London is unprecedented in the UK, and evokes very strong opinions from people on both sides of the constitutional question. This is a new proposal, no-one's had time to get wound up about it, and in theory there's nothing for anyone in Scotland to complain about here.
NL
Ne1L C
I have to admit that I'm in two minds about this. For a start the name is a bit daft. BBC Scotland exists already not just in TV but also radio so the budget would be stretched.

As regards the Scottish news hour surely it would be better to have A Scottish Six on BBC 1 and have a style of Nationwide/Sixty Minutes to Salford for the Sport or Holyrood for Parliamentary reports and then use local studios in Edinburgh, Glasgow etc for a sub-regional STV-style output.

As regards the rest of the output I agree with those who think the scheduling would be tricky to say the least.

NB: I know I may be attacked as an "ignorant sassanach" but as someone with a bit of background in scheduling (via community radio) I just think that BBC 1 Scotland as it is would be better by having primetime scottish programming.
PC
p_c_u_k
I agree that a Scottish Six would have been a better idea, and in theory BBC One Scotland with more opt-outs would be a better solution. But there are political issues with the former, and people will always complain they're missing their favourite shows if they extend the latter.
NL
Ne1L C
I agree that a Scottish Six would have been a better idea, and in theory BBC One Scotland with more opt-outs would be a better solution. But there are political issues with the former, and people will always complain they're missing their favourite shows if they extend the latter.

Could BBCi and iPlayer play a role in sorting out that issue?
PC
p_c_u_k
Only way I can see is if you actively directed people to watch an alternative programme on the iPlayer, or put the Scottish show online only. Either way you'd be reducing the audience for one. Unless you actually all-out just say "Look, stop complaining, it's on the web later". Smile
DV
DVB Cornwall
Something that's needed is an assessment as to where on Freeview this is going to go. The only place I can think is space vacated in the evening by removing the broadcast red button service during the BBC Scotland broadcast hours.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I'll be interested in seeing Tony Hall's evidence to the Scottish Parliament's Culture, Tourism, Europe and External Relations Committee tomorrow. For those interested, it's from 09:00 in Committee Room 4.
Last edited by scottishtv on 23 February 2017 3:02pm - 2 times in total
JA
james-2001
Something that's needed is an assessment as to where on Freeview this is going to go. The only place I can think is space vacated in the evening by removing the broadcast red button service during the BBC Scotland broadcast hours.

I was about to say CBBC downtime space... but then remembered that finishes at 9 now, so that's wrong.
SO
SOL
I think this new channel will be similar to BBC Alba, but in English. River City will remain on BBC 1 Scotland as its prime time soap. Likewise, BBC 2 Scotland will still be in operation for more serious programming including political and current affairs. FMQs is on at 12, so it wouldn't be shown on this new channel anyway.

I am perplexed, however, at how this is being 'sold' as a solution to concerns in Scottish broadcasting, when London has already dictated when and where a Scottish national and international news programme will be transmitted. Decision making is still very much London based.
IS
Inspector Sands
I have to admit that I'm in two minds about this. For a start the name is a bit daft.

Have they actually announced what the name is? It's over 18 months away and only a concept at the moment, plenty of time to come up with a brand and name

Newer posts