TV Home Forum

TVS Post-1993

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

I think the above is linked to the below: Why didn't MTM just get sold off directly to Family channel inc? Did the share holding from above prevent full control? Did Mary end up having shares in Family?

Why does it matter what happened to her share, it was only 5%? She might have got cash for them, she might have had a share in IFE, it's not relevant to where all the master tapes of Bobby Davro are.

Quote:
This is VERY relvant because it make even less since now... IF the above is correct MTM was already out of the hands of TVS Television by the time Family channel uk launched. If that is the case then Flextech owns the UK TVS archive as part of its buyout of the assets?

All Flextech did was buy the rest of Family Channel UK that it didn't already own, as far as we know. It was a joint venture, a self contained concern seperate from its owners.

The reshuffle that happened 3 years earlier when TVS was bought just moved one subsidiary from one part of the company to another - from the old British holding company into part of the new American parent. That's what happens when companies merge or buy others, they reorganise.

Going by Insp. sands post, MTM was already out of its hand, so was so valuable within the UK TVS archive? Cats eyes? The Ruth Rendell Mysteries?

They bought the company partly because they'd get MTM and partly to get a foothold in the UK and start a British version of their channel. Everything that was left of TVS came with it including the archive

Quote:
Flextech were still using stuff from the TVS archive for twos and the gameshows for at least 4 years.

Just because they were showing their programmes doesn't mean they owned them outright, it just means they bought the rights to show them. Just in the same way that Challenge today doesn't own Pointless

Quote:
I know this sounds daft, but why would an american company want with UK archive, when it wasn;t linked as stated above to anything else within TVS empire.

As above, because it came with a famous American production company and studios in the UK.

Also the channel they set up needed content. The primary business of the company TVS Television at that time was programme sales.... who do you think they were selling them to? The channel they co-owned maybe?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I find it strange that the accounts don't specify who the programme library was sold to.
:-(
A former member

I think the above is linked to the below: Why didn't MTM just get sold off directly to Family channel inc? Did the share holding from above prevent full control? Did Mary end up having shares in Family?

Why does it matter what happened to her share, it was only 5%? She might have got cash for them, she might have had a share in IFE, it's not relevant to where all the master tapes of Bobby Davro are.

It might explain why the company and the asset were sold and moved around the way it did.

Quote:
This is VERY relvant because it make even less since now... IF the above is correct MTM was already out of the hands of TVS Television by the time Family channel uk launched. If that is the case then Flextech owns the UK TVS archive as part of its buyout of the assets?

All Flextech did was buy the rest of Family Channel UK that it didn't already own, as far as we know. It was a joint venture, a self contained concern seperate from its owners.

You mean 59% of the TV channel and maidstone studios. Of course since MTM was hacked off it wouldn't have been part of that deal even in the first,

Was the family channel UK Actually TVS Television- which controlled UK archive and maidstone and did Flextech have 31% in that that? or was it just the actual channel and nothing else?
BA
bilky asko
Are Plcs listed at Companies House?

They are, but it seems that the listing (available in early 2016) has since been taken down, at least going by a post previously made on this forum. It's clearly a conspiracy.

see here ……..

FORUMS on TVFORUM. UK
20-Feb-2017 @ 21:31

Speaking of posts previously made on this forum:

see here (credit: Mr D Lees) ……..

FORUMS on TVFORUM .UK
20-Feb-2017 @ 21:34

If someone looked back far enough in the TV Forum archives, the person who dumped all the tapes probably made a post about it back in 2001.

EDIT: It appears that typing www.tvforum.co.uk autolinks to the homepage. It must be some kind of conspiracy.
Last edited by bilky asko on 20 February 2017 9:46pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
Was the family channel UK Actually TVS Television- which controlled UK archive and maidstone and did Flextech have 31% in that that? or was it just the actual channel and nothing else?

The Family Channel UK was International Family Entertainment UK, owned by IFE and Flextech Family Channel Ltd. When Flextech bought the lot, IFE UK was renamed Maidstone Broadcasting, and then Challenge TV. When Challenge was sold by Virgin Media the company was renamed Flextech C.
WH
Whataday Founding member
In terms of who bought the TVS programming library, I'd be surprised if it wasn't an IFE subsidiary. However, in Flextech Plc's accounts for 1996, they state:

The same accounts say there was a 'programming inventory' with a book value of £7,938,000 acquired through its takeover of IFE and TVST.
IN
Interceptor
£8m probably doesn't buy you that many programmes. I suspect it was Family Catchphrase and a few other miscellaneous pieces which were organised as part of The Family Channel but not part of the MTM or TVS archives

I would like to know what the 'Hallmark Rights' are, though?
:-(
A former member
Thats why I could never understand why there never just included the three TVS gameshows aswell. Remember this was back in the 90s. Was £8million really for the following:

* Roll with it!
* Second Guess
* Trivial Pursuit
* A Word in Your Ear
* family Catchphrase
WH
Whataday Founding member
I would like to know what the 'Hallmark Rights' are, though?

It's mentioned in the accounts of Flextech Rights Ltd

RI
Riaz
Disney definitely owns some part of the TVS archive. Could this mean that the TVS archive was broken up some time before 18/03/1996 and the entire programme library in the Directors' Report refers to whatever material remains?
WH
Whataday Founding member
No, there's no mention of part of the archive getting sold off in any prior accounts.
RI
Riaz
No, there's no mention of part of the archive getting sold off in any prior accounts.

If IFE owned TVS then would it have been necessary to state in company accounts or reports that certain TVS programmes were retained by IFE prior to the sale of TVS to Flextech?

Newer posts