The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
South Today
Looks like ITV West Country are recruiting a new main presenter, which is a bit of a surprise really as I thought either Jonty Messer or Bob Cruwys would be promoted to this role.

That still might be the outcome - they'll just have to apply for the job themselves. I guess Ian Acton will be hiring his own replacement then, so that's possibly why nobody was lined up immediately.

Also sad but not surprising to see "a high profile on social media" listed amongst the job requirements. Heck that could be seen as discriminatory.

Any predictions who will be Ian's successor? Maybe a return of a familiar face from regional television's past.
LS
Lou Scannon
EPGs (or at least the Virgin Media one) still refers to "Ian Axton & Kylie Pentelow" as the 6pm weeknight presenters.

I wonder how many aeons it will be before the info supplied for EPGs gets updated, if ever...

10 days later

LS
Lou Scannon
I noticed during the "still to come" business at about 1815 that the two side screens were mistakenly showing the Smeaton's Tower version of the programme logo. All 5 "windows" were correctly showing the Avon Gorge backdrop. The "HTV" edition is the live one tonight, proved by a live OB from Bath a bit earlier on.
RD
RDJ
Bob Crampton filing a report tonight about vinyl records, which was pooled to a few regions and was at least seen in the Central region too.

Must be one of a very few times Bob will file a report these days, even more so to be seen in other regions.
LS
Lou Scannon
RDJ posted:
Bob Crampton filing a report tonight about vinyl records, which was pooled to a few regions and was at least seen in the Central region too.

Must be one of a very few times Bob will file a report these days, even more so to be seen in other regions.

I swear blind that no such report featured on West Country (East) - Bob's most native (sub)-region - that evening, ironically enough!

Unless I just zoned-out for a few minutes and missed it?

Either that, or it was used on a different day (when I mightn't have been watching) here in HTV-land? As these "aggregate" items are so generic and not necessarily date-specific in nature, I suppose they generally lend themselves to being pooled across the regions spread over a few days/a week etc (and probably routinely are?).
LS
Lou Scannon
Tonight in the West Country we were treated to TT&B's Ross Hutchinson presenting our weather forecast, presumably pre-recorded in Gateshead.

I'm not aware of him ever appearing here in the West Country before.
JE
Jez Founding member
Tonight in the West Country we were treated to TT&B's Ross Hutchinson presenting our weather forecast, presumably pre-recorded in Gateshead.

I'm not aware of him ever appearing here in the West Country before.

Pretty much any presenter from any region will cover when the regular presenters aren't available. In Wales we have had Ross, Kerrie, Jo and John from the North regions as well as most other presenters from the national team like Lucy and Becky.
AN
Andrew Founding member
There seems to be no rhyme or reason, and it could equally be a presenter from the next door region or one from miles away. In Yorkshire the most regular cover presenters seems to be either James Wright or Helen Plint, fairly rare to be anyone from Granada and very rare to be Ross from Tyne Tees, although we did get Jo Blythe from Granada tonight.
BR
bristoliandude
Looks like ITV West Country are recruiting a new main presenter, which is a bit of a surprise really as I thought either Jonty Messer or Bob Cruwys would be promoted to this role.

That still might be the outcome - they'll just have to apply for the job themselves. I guess Ian Acton will be hiring his own replacement then, so that's possibly why nobody was lined up immediately.

Also sad but not surprising to see "a high profile on social media" listed amongst the job requirements. Heck that could be seen as discriminatory.

Any predictions who will be Ian's successor? Maybe a return of a familiar face from regional television's past.

Although a vacancy has gone up, I think Alex Beresford will go for it.

I remember this being posted on his Instagram ages back. I'm sure he said once about how he'd like to be a presenter too. He's always been good as the weather presenter, and has always had good chemistry with the programme presenters.

JE
Jez Founding member
There seems to be no rhyme or reason, and it could equally be a presenter from the next door region or one from miles away. In Yorkshire the most regular cover presenters seems to be either James Wright or Helen Plint, fairly rare to be anyone from Granada and very rare to be Ross from Tyne Tees, although we did get Jo Blythe from Granada tonight.

We get James and Helen as the most regular cover in Wales along with Amanda (until she took her break), Alex and Lucy. We also had Jo and Kerrie appear quite a few times but rarely anyone from the South regions apart from Alex who is still classed as ITV Westcountry I think?

James and Helen aren't really linked to any one region, James used to be Wales but now is based in London as part of the London/Central/Wales based weekend hub with Helen. I guess that's why those 2 cover often in other regions mid week as well as doing the weekend hub.
BE
Benjamin1
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.
London Lite and LondonViewer gave kudos
SK
Skygeek
Axed sky news presenter Mark Longhurst replaces Ian.

As someone who used to produce a weekly programme which Mark presented and as someone who originally hails from that part of the world, consider me utterly delighted.
Brekkie and Ben Shatliff gave kudos

Newer posts