TV Home Forum

Sky / Discovery Dispute

Full scale war breaks out - Peace reached with 4.5hrs to go, (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex

I seem to recall it being much lower than that 1998 to 2000, something like Ch 160 ?

EPG 160 was BBC Choice/THREE's position on the Sky Guide. BBC Knowledge was placed in the Documentaries section of the Guide, but when they replaced it with BBC FOUR, the BBC moved it to EPG 161. Later both got moved to EPG 115/116.
ST
Ste Founding member
Disney was on 115 before moving to 613.

12 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Not worth a separate thread, but it sure looks as if Eurosport have signed up to the higher quality BTTV distribution offering. Notable improvement imo.
:-(
A former member
Not worth a separate thread, but it sure looks as if Eurosport have signed up to the higher quality BTTV distribution offering. Notable improvement imo.

What exactly does that mean?
DV
DVB Cornwall
There are at least four iptv HD/UHD channel characteristics available for channels on the platform.

The UHD profile and three HD ones.

Sky Sports 1 and 2 have the highest quality available (and is only available to users with a higher BB speed)

The median one is used by BT Sport's Four HD services and extra HD channels and AMC HD

The lowest Bandwidth has always been offered as standard to other channels.

I suspect that Eurosport are now paying to move from the lowest quality available channel to the median quality as previously only used by BT's channels. The PQ from St. Moritz this week has been exceptional.
A former member
Thanks for the explanation.
BR
Brekkie
Is it in HD then on BT? Considering their Olympic rights too it is time they make the Eurosport Player or equivalent streams available on all platforms which could in theory distribute it including BTTV, SkyQ and actually DTT via the connected channels.
A former member
Is it in HD then on BT?.

Yes, both ES1 and ES2 are in HD on BT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46017/~/what-channels-are-available-on-bt-tv
DV
dvboy
Sky Sports 1 and 2 have the highest quality available (and is only available to users with a higher BB speed)

You have to have BT Infinity for all BT TV packages except BT Sport now. I checked this when exploring options during the Sky/Discovery dispute.
NG
noggin Founding member
Is it in HD then on BT? Considering their Olympic rights too it is time they make the Eurosport Player or equivalent streams available on all platforms which could in theory distribute it including BTTV, SkyQ and actually DTT via the connected channels.

I wouldn't read anything in to Eurosport moving up a quality notch in the BTTV multicast service, which is effectively a private multicast service that sends streams to the exchange over an internal BT-owned backbone, and then out over BT fibre IP+VDSL connections. This multicast solution is best thought of as 'IP Cable'. It's not internet streaming.

This is a VERY different tech solution to the unicast streaming service used by Smart TVs, Freeview IPTV, tablets, mobiles etc. that go over the public internet.

Newer posts