TV Home Forum

RBS 6 Nations 2017

BBC & ITV Coverage - ITV Team Announced (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Well if the BBC said it was to Wales I'm taking that as fact. Also notice in the Ireland game with the try count it switches to "BP" once the four tries needed for a bonus point is hit. IMO would be much better just to do that rather than have it there for 1, 2 and 3 tries as well.

Must say I do think this split broadcasting arrangement has breathed new life into the coverage of the tournament. ITV's coverage is very good and competition has forced the BBC to step up it's game. I think (well, I know) I complained virtually every year that although overall the coverage was great the same old voices year in year out on the BBC coverage let it down so to have effectively twice as many opinions to draw upon really benefits the viewer. Also undoubtedly having to produce one or two games a week rather than all three means the overall quality of the coverage has probably stepped up too.
WO
Worzel
Minor excitement by the score operator for the 75th min Eng try, awarded it to Wales initially.

Probably done to try and wind up (commentator) Jonathan Davies. 😉 There's being proud of your country and then commentating/shouting like a bias fan, Davies does the latter far too much unfortunately which spoils the game!
BR
Brekkie
Minor excitement by the score operator for the 75th min Eng try, awarded it to Wales initially.

Probably done to try and wind up (commentator) Jonathan Davies. 😉 There's being proud of your country and then commentating/shouting like a bias fan, Davies does the latter far too much unfortunately which spoils the game!

And Brian Moore doesn't? At least they had the two today which cancelled each other out.
WO
Worzel

And Brian Moore doesn't? At least they had the two today which cancelled each other out.

Sorry but Davies is far, far worse. His constant 'it's on, it's on' when half the time the ball isn't is incredibly irritating. At least Brian Moore has some composure.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Today RTE were showing the Ireland v Italy women's match before the France v Scotland match, the match overran and finished at 2.50pm, RTE then went straight to a break with the team for the women's match being replaced by Shane Horgan, Ronan O'Gara etc. and joined their commentary just as the team lineups were on screen missing the National Anthems and applause for Joost van der Westhuizen.

Sorry but Davies is far, far worse. His constant 'it's on, it's on' when half the time the ball isn't is incredibly irritating. At least Brian Moore has some composure.

Martyn Williams is a far better and composed Welsh Commentator than Jonathan Davies

35 days later

BK
bkman1990
Daire O'Brien did a fine send off tonight for 50 years of Six Nations coverage from RTE by way of a thank you message & a video montage of great memories from the significant key moments over the years in this championship.

This was to mark RTE's last day of coverage of The Six Nations Rugby Championship.

TV3 will have the rights from 2018 to 2022 (and possibly beyond that if TV3 are kept by Liberty Global for much longer than expected).
RD
rdd Founding member
Here it is:

https://twitter.com/rtesport/status/843204225236697089

Well done RTÉ, and fitting to include the classic panel of Hook, Pope, and O'Shea in the montage. RTE still have one more set of Autumn series games, but yesterday was really the end of an era.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Worth pointing out that at the end of the BBC highlights yesterday that John Inverdale stated it was Keith Wood last day with the BBC and presented him with a cap with BBC Sport logo on it and said Keith Wood 1996-2017 and showed some of his playing and punditry career. I assume TV3 have signed him up as an analyst again for the 6 Nations like they did for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Newer posts