TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OR
orange
For the briefest of moments just now, as shots of a swastika-bedecked London came up on my screen accompanied by the forming swirl of the "one", I thought the idents had taken a bold, if contraversial, new direction.

It turned out to be a short promo for alternative-history drama SS-GB, of course.

Actually mentioned about SS-GB at the start of the thread. Looks to be an interesting watch.

If that were to be an ident based on the theme of Oneness, there'd be a bunch of SS men staring into the camera.

'onenaz'
JA
james-2001
JO
Jon
T0M posted:
For the briefest of moments just now, as shots of a swastika-bedecked London came up on my screen accompanied by the forming swirl of the "one", I thought the idents had taken a bold, if contraversial, new direction.

It turned out to be a short promo for alternative-history drama SS-GB, of course.

Actually mentioned about SS-GB at the start of the thread. Looks to be an interesting watch.

If that were to be an ident based on the theme of Oneness, there'd be a bunch of SS men staring into the camera.

'onenaz'

Yeah, I wouldn't open with that.
BR
Brekkie
Guess this is a remake of the US version BBC4 have been airing at 7pm in recent weeks.
Last edited by Brekkie on 11 February 2017 2:32pm
HC
Hatton Cross
*clap clap*
Well done, Brekkie. Nice gag...
GO
gonzo
...I hate to say it, but I think the oneness idents are growing on me.

They have a dorky charm about them.
JO
Jonny
They possibly would have worked as a surrounding campaign.

They're just terrible as idents for a whole variety of reasons.
Jeffmister and bilky asko gave kudos
:-(
A former member
SOL posted:
Is it me or do all the idents have a sound blip at the beginning? It's like the sound disappears for half a second before coming back on. Just another thing to add to my long list of how bad these are.

Going back to this for a second, I wanted to show you what I meant about the change in audio format causing the dropout.

If you look at the transition from menu to ident in this image (in the first thumbnail you can just see the fade of the menu - the small e in the centre of the n), you can see the change in audio formats from 2 channel to 5.1 a fraction of a second later - the change from blue to yellow in the audio graph - and the loss of audio.

This is causing the blip you mention. Annoyingly in this example from before the rugby match this afternoon, there was another blip immediately after the ident as audio changed back to 2 channel for the game!

Click the image to enlarge it.
PC
p_c_u_k
gonzo posted:

They have a dorky charm about them.

Ok, I'm going to come out and say the same. In an era when the whole of society is geared up to make us feel rubbish about ourselves so we buy more stuff, so showing us Photoshopped celebs and telling us about wonderful places we'll never have the money to go to under the guise of aspirational, showing us people who look less than flawless doing everyday stuff is actually quite healthy.

I wonder if we'd all have been quite so raging had they given us more than two idents in January. The repetition really didn't help. The execution isn't great - you could argue that's part of the charm but there's a difference between something being simple and something being basic. And the inclusion of the place names is a complete schoolboy error given they have BBC One Scotland etc variants. But they're growing on me.
MM
MMcG198
gonzo posted:

But they're growing on me.

Have you two been drinking bleach?
DP
D.Page
...It's been bugging me for years and I've not found a suitable work around.

There is one obvious workaround which will solve it much of the time, but the downside is it adds another step to your workflow.

When I want to upload an ident onto my YouTube channel and have the capture imported in Premiere Pro, in order to tidy up the start and end points, add my DOG etc, if there's an audio problem at the head of the ident, I just import another of my captures of said ident, use the first second or so of its soundtrack and crossfade over just past the problem point.

Mind you, I don't have to worry about the countless channels you cover in TIG Shocked, just BBC1 and BBC2, mainly for me, at the moment.
DP
D.Page
gonzo posted:

But they're growing on me.

Have you two been drinking bleach?

Maybe there's a tube of Bostick nearby with the cap off.

Newer posts