TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
SOL posted:
Wicko posted:
So, Martin Parr has not managed to shoot anything new yet then! No new ident since January 15th. I wonder when we'll see the next one.

It's obvious that they'll be rolling out new ones each month - the more important matter is if BBC Creative have taken onboard the large amount of criticism these idents have received (and rightly so).
Hopefully when he's learned how to use a tripod and employed somebody who can add a proper soundtrack.

Tripod - maybe. But I doubt that there will be a distinctive soundtrack, or apparently so according to one of the guys working on the Oneness idents...
https://lbbonline.com/news/photographer-martin-parr-shoots-bbc-ones-first-new-idents-in-over-a-decade/

Is it obvious? Was anything said that new idents would be added to this package on a monthly basis? All that was said is that they'd relate to events throughout the year. As 4 were released in January, it doesn't look like there'll be monthly additions.

5 if you want to count Forest, the designated Obit ident.

With 24 idents planned and a good chunk of them being already on air - you're correct. I assumed that they were going to be added monthly, but the current set has four idents already airing - making that impossible. I stand corrected.
JO
Jonny
As ever, people put 2 + 2 together and made 5 based on (allegedly) 24 idents to appear across the year. Initially, 2 launched in January, ergo, 2 per month.

Nowhere in the press releases was this stated. And it was also disproved when 2 more turned up 2 weeks later.
RE
Rex
Jonny posted:
As ever, people put 2 + 2 together and made 5 based on (allegedly) 24 idents to appear across the year. Initially, 2 launched in January, ergo, 2 per month.

Nowhere in the press releases was this stated. And it was also disproved when 2 more turned up 2 weeks later.

My sentiments exactly. Looking back at the reports given on the new set, the assumptions came from 24 idents over the course of the year - with Exercise Class and Sea Swimmers first airing. That was where the so called '2 idents a month' malarkey came about - disproved entirely when Mountain Rescue, Wheelchair Rugby Team and Forest (albeit obit-only) aired. Parr only mentioned that they were for different events throughout the year (specific idents for rugby and Wimbledon being produced) - just not every month though.

This really tells me that I have to be more cautious of the info at hand rather than being impulsive... Confused
SO
SOL
Is it me or do all the idents have a sound blip at the beginning? It's like the sound disappears for half a second before coming back on. Just another thing to add to my long list of how bad these are.
DP
D.Page
SOL posted:
Is it me or do all the idents have a sound blip at the beginning? It's like the sound disappears for half a second before coming back on. Just another thing to add to my long list of how bad these are.

It could be down to the hardware you're using to watch the channels. I get a similar effect, but only very occasionally.It was more frequent in their early days, but lately it seems to have settled down more (for me).

BBC2's Car and Firecracker often play up as well (for me). There's sometimes a single crackle at or very near the start.
Last edited by D.Page on 10 February 2017 8:05am
:-(
A former member
SOL posted:

I've noticed that a lot when encoding videos for the Gallery - especially on BBC One, but never on ITV. I believe it's to do with a change of audio formats between trails and idents. It's not so audible on live transmissions, but it does seem to be picked up more on recordings and editing where the format change (for me) results in a very noticeable drop out. You may hear the result on a few of the BBC idents in the site. It's been bugging me for years and I've not found a suitable work around.
RO
Rofters
AxG posted:
Looks like Mary Berry was photoshopped in. Laughing

Does look a bit suspicious...
TR
trivialmatters
Here's Denmark's TV2 schooling the BBC in "one-ness".

:-(
A former member

Please see page 135 Wink
FA
fanoftv

Please see page 135 Wink

Or page 57 of the international presentation thread from 23rd January Razz
DA
davidhorman
For the briefest of moments just now, as shots of a swastika-bedecked London came up on my screen accompanied by the forming swirl of the "one", I thought the idents had taken a bold, if contraversial, new direction.

It turned out to be a short promo for alternative-history drama SS-GB, of course.
Last edited by davidhorman on 10 February 2017 7:37pm
RE
Rex
For the briefest of moments just now, as shots of a swastika-bedecked London came up on my screen accompanied by the forming swirl of the "one", I thought the idents had taken a bold, if contraversial, new direction.

It turned out to be a short promo for alternative-history drama SS-GB, of course.

Actually mentioned about SS-GB at the start of the thread. Looks to be an interesting watch.

If that were to be an ident based on the theme of Oneness, there'd be a bunch of SS men staring into the camera.

Newer posts