The Newsroom

Helicopters Used for News Coverage

Live Chopper coverage (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
A police pursuit just wrapped up in LA, here is look what the inside of a newsroom looks like during one of these chases.

MA
Markymark
A police pursuit just wrapped up in LA, here is look what the inside of a newsroom looks like during one of these chases.

Meanwhile, over in Washington, events far more serious and far reaching are occurring, but hey........
MO
Mouseboy33
I guess I can make the same argument that the Brexit vote is happening now but all non news UK channels are in regular programming this evening and not in rolling coverage on whats happening in Westminster.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 8 February 2017 9:05pm
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Thought this was going to be a topic about the BBC One ident! Laughing
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Thought this was going to be a topic about the BBC One ident! Laughing
MO
Mouseboy33
2nd LA pursuit today just ended. A bit more violent then the one earlier. The chopper had a hard time keeping up as it was just alongside LAX in restricted airspace. The suspect hit 3 cars flipping one car over and trapping a woman briefly inside.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 9 February 2017 12:04am - 2 times in total
EL
elmarko
Oh my god, both chases yesterday were incredible television spectacles. Watching those cops save that lady was great.

And the earlier chase, where he kept stopping and then taking off again: actual belly laughs watching him troll them.
MO
Mouseboy33
The first chase had that stringer (indie photog) run up to the car and knock on the window in the middle of chase when it stopped at a traffic light. Never saw that one before.
EL
elmarko
Oh wow I missed that
:-(
A former member
I can deal with this sort of thing on police camera action etc but NOT AS LIVE news Mad
MO
Mouseboy33
Here is the idiot camera guy running up on the chase vehicle.

Well I dont expect you get many high speed chases up in Scotland. Southern California has multiple chases a week. Yesterday was one such example. Some get resolved before the choppers can get there. Its not everyone's cup of tea. But the stations claim to cover them out of public safety (ratings also play a part). SoCal has loads of interlacing motorways and rely on the automobile heavily. So the news media covers stories like these more than other place in country. Its definitely a Southern CA thing. But having said that Australia has it fair share as well. And many of the State Capital city stations have choppers. (ie Ch7 and Ch9) Unfortuntately, everything isnt going to neatly edited and packaged to watch in the evening on the settee with a cuppa as entertainment. But if you lived there, there's always the option to turn off the telly and ignore whats going on around you until the evening news comes on. Fortunately for ABC 7. The 4pm news was just starting as the ending crash happened so they didnt run the opening graphics. They just intro'd the newscast verbally and carried on.

Thats what LOCAL news does. They cover whats happening LOCALLY. Its not a national channel in which the whole country is watching. (though you can watch online). If you have a numpty with a gun driving up and down the street and motorways and that person is slamming into cars at a high rate speed, I'd want to know. So I or my family doesn't get in harms way. But everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and the choice not to watch.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 9 February 2017 5:07pm
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Not interested in the action, but the graphics on that ABC station are nice.
Telly Media, UBox and tmorgan96 gave kudos

Newer posts