TV Home Forum

GMTV of the 1993-2003

Ten years of classic GMTV (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Rather than burning themselves out, I bet the real reason it was axed was because very few watched it. Sky One often have trouble gaining a foothold in areas where the big two dominate and have a long list of shows that are bigged up and then axed within one series.
BL
bluecortina

You're correct. After wos finished part of the set was left in situ (camera left - the sort of faux control rooms). I suspect there were left there simply for cost saving reasons. But all that went when the studio was converted to component to produce a weekday programme for bsb.

Where did they do the remnants of WOS - Saint & Greavsie and the Results Service? Just a guess but could the 'faux control room' set maybe have been used for the latter for a while?

A long time me ago. I suspect S&G was from the corner of st5. Behind and to camera right ofdickie davies' original position. It was hardly a big set.

I don't remember the results service after wos, do you have any sort of screen grab?
HC
Hatton Cross
One desk, one camera set up. Using same S&G backdrop.
IS
Inspector Sands
Here's a video of the Results Service from 1987 (two years after WOS ended. I assume it started straight after?) different set, but presumably Studio 5?

EDIT - just noticed that it had the same music and titles style as WoS did at the end of it's run
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 26 January 2017 12:56pm
:-(
A former member
Here it is a year later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBeiuFfe1q8&ab_channel=Mooncat
BL
bluecortina
Thanks for the postings, too difficult to tell I'm afraid. St5 never had its own control rooms at the time, and was controlled from st3. I wonder if the set moved between st3 & 5 but I can't think why if S&G and the results service were long term fixtures. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I may be able to ask a few other people in the next couple of months.

13 days later

RD
RDJ
This must be one of the earliest appearances of Kate Garraway on GMTV as a Sunday Morning newsreader. This was taped in 1997 so would be in between her stints at Meridian Tonight and BBC News 24/Sky News, before she presumably returned to GMTV full time at the turn of the millennium.

Assuming this was one of her first appearances, she'll be marking 20 years at ITV Breakfast this year, albeit not consecutively.

Start from 6:32.
Last edited by RDJ on 7 February 2017 10:35pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
What was that presenter about to do on the Saturday startup, read the news?!
FA
fanoftv

I presume that she was going to read a menu of programmes or introduce them. From what I recall back then the branding was the same throughout the morning even though preschool programmes aired at the top of the morning.
A former member
The Saturday person looked like Michaela Strachan, it just seems weird there were using that branding for pre school programmes, like Fun Song Factory because at 7am it would have been Wake up in the wild room, and then Power rangers at 08.50am.

GMTV always used to have a news bulletin on a Saturday at 6am I wonder where that went.
AN
Andrew Founding member

I have to say that has me stumped as well. Maybe it was just after they'd dropped the Saturday GMTV News but felt contractually obliged to keep some human presence on screen introducing the programme?
A former member
By the end of 1997 it had stopped., My brain has reminded me of Barney and bananas.. at that time on GMTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9DoZaz2UA

Newer posts