The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Did they somewhat cheekily film the promo for the new local news (seen on previous page) on a proper set somewhere, when in reality it seems they've only got a fairly basic CSO set-up, with tight shots of the presenter and no actual set to speak of?

Maybe the set is not quite ready?

NBC and CBS have filmed promos on one set in the past. NBC had recorded promos for Jimmy Fallon and I think Nightly News on the KNBC set for KNSD and KNTV where they just changed the video wall backdrop. It's probably not really noticeable except to us anoraks as the spots were essentially tight shots of the desk - the video walls are nearly the same style with different mullions.
WW
WW Update
And for comparison, here's WIN News Canberra, still looking (and sounding) like a Nine affiliate. Unlike Nine News Canberra, which is a combined local-national newscast, WIN News is local-only since it follows Ten News from Sydney:

WW
WW Update
The picture quality is horrible, but this is what the news on CTC-7 (Southern Cross; then Ten, now Nine) looked like the last time the station aired local news -- in 2001, shortly before its news department was shut down:

CR
Critique
I wonder if they always used a slightly different cut of the package than Nine News does, or whether since they've switched affiliations it's something that they've been required to do - the music on the titles starts part way in now (with the part that can be most recognised as the Nine News music not present), and they use different musical stings to each other too.
WW
WW Update
Switzerland is an interesting market with domestic channels competing with channels from neighbouring countries which share the same languages. TF1 Groupe and M6 provide Swiss variants for advertising and some of the German based channels also offer the same thing.

For a while in 1999 and 2000, RTL and ProSieben even aired a joint news opt-out for Switzerland:

I believe ProSeiben and Sat1 still air weather-only opt-outs for Switzerland.

And in Austria, Puls4 produces localized news opt-outs for the Austrian versions of Sat1 and ProSieben. This is what their Sat1 op-out looks like:

Quatorzine Neko and London Lite gave kudos
DE
deejay
From 1965, KNBC's coverage of an in-flight emergency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw2RW7xybmU

Extraordinary story, but I doubt it'd get 4'30" these days on an American news bulletin. Ironic that the couple filming in the plane had footage in colour yet the news broadcaster is still monochrome (unless that's just the surviving recording?). I suppose it was extremely uncommon back then for "user generated content" to be available.
CH
Charles
From 1965, KNBC's coverage of an in-flight emergency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw2RW7xybmU

Extraordinary story, but I doubt it'd get 4'30" these days on an American news bulletin. Ironic that the couple filming in the plane had footage in colour yet the news broadcaster is still monochrome (unless that's just the surviving recording?). I suppose it was extremely uncommon back then for "user generated content" to be available.

Or maybe not. A lot of that reminds me of the Asiana crash, which also happened at SFO a few years ago. That certainly received a lot of coverage. I can't remember what the LA stations did, but they probably had at least a few of their own reporters up there giving live reports. That's probably the closest analogue. Still a lot of coverage, but perhaps a little more visceral and dramatic with live reports, viewer footage, and rinse and repeat for the next report in fifteen minutes.

Of course, a lot has changed since 1965. Air disasters and four engine jets are also far less common, and the great Pan Am is no more.

On that note, here's a nice package from CBS Sunday Morning in 2011 on the 20th anniversary of Pan Am's collapse:

Last edited by Charles on 8 February 2017 10:05am - 2 times in total
DB
dbl
The picture quality is horrible, but this is what the news on CTC-7 (Southern Cross; then Ten, now Nine) looked like the last time the station aired local news -- in 2001, shortly before its news department was shut down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyTS2aQ-l0

This is what the Southern Cross news updates looked like before 9 News Canberra launched this week, massive jump in production quality compared to before:

WW
WW Update
KNR, Greenland, 2016 (in Greenlandic Inuit with Danish subtitles):

MQ
Mr Q
From one member of the Danish Realm to another... TV news from the Faroe Islands: Dagur & Vika .

I don't imagine it's a coincidence that it has such a similar logo to DR's "TV Avisen"!
EL
elmarko
KNR, Greenland, 2016 (in Greenlandic Inuit with Danish subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paH0ylWYVk

For a ridiculously small area like that, that is a very nice setup. Very professional. The music is trippy too.
WW
WW Update
TVQ-10; Brisbane, Australia, 2017:

Newer posts