TV Home Forum

RBS 6 Nations 2017

BBC & ITV Coverage - ITV Team Announced (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FC
Flux Capacitor
ITV flying the flag for Wales today...

http://tig.gy/?m=ITV-WALES.jpg

That flag's the wrong way round isn't it? Come on ITV...
:-(
A former member
Watch the ident......
TL
toby lerone 2016
As last year the BBC uploaded the whole match which was live on ITV with full commentary to the BBC iplayer alongside their highlights show and live match, for Wales v Italy they had Alistair Eykyn & Jonathan Davies and for England v France they had Eddie Butler & Brian Moore.

They also uploaded the whole Wales v Italy Women's Match (with commentary by Wyn Gruffywd) & Scotland v Ireland Women's Match (with commentary from Hugh Cahill & Fiona Cochlan who did the match for RTE Sport) but as England v France Women was live on Sky Sports only highlights featured from that match on their new Highlights Show.
BK
bkman1990
When they say free to air rights, will that be the whole of the womens world cup, or just selected matches?

I'm wondering about this as well to be fair. It will be great if all live matches are shown from every tournament in the deal on ITV.

But; we don't know the nitty gritty details that will define their overall rights package.

Will they show every live match available from these tournaments? That will be a good question to get answered at any rate.

All we know so far is that they will show every tournament given from a press release and nothing more.
Last edited by bkman1990 on 6 February 2017 10:02pm
BR
Brekkie
The Womens World Cup and Under 20s tournament do feature simultaneous kick-offs, with a full round of matches taking place in one day. Therefore it's unlikely they'll show all matches, and I'm not sure if World Rugby provide a host feed from both match venues or if they just concentrate on one.
BK
bkman1990
I got a word from someone that this deal will allow all games from the men's tournament; that was a given.

It also includes the likely possibility of all games in the Women's Rugby World Cup in Ireland.

It was also known that the Under 20's tournament was last shown on Sky in the UK & Ireland.

But the Irish rights of the Under 20's championship have gone to Eir & possibly TG4?

Will this new deal for ITV over ride the agreement with Sky viewers in the UK.
TL
toby lerone 2016
But the Irish rights of the Under 20's championship have gone to Eir & possibly TG4?

The last few Under 20s Championships have been on TG4 and they covered the last Womens Rugby World Cup but they generally only covered Ireland and other matches later on in the tournament. I believe Eir have these rights alongside the men's tournament but they will partner with an Irish Free to Air broadcaster for selected matches.
SW
Steve Williams
The Womens World Cup and Under 20s tournament do feature simultaneous kick-offs, with a full round of matches taking place in one day. Therefore it's unlikely they'll show all matches, and I'm not sure if World Rugby provide a host feed from both match venues or if they just concentrate on one.

It is a low profile sport as well. Twenty or thirty years ago we didn't get every match from the football and rugby World Cups live on free to air television - it was only in 1998 when every World Cup match it was possible to show (ie, apart from the clashing matches) was actually shown, before that quite a few used to be highlights only. The women's World Cup is about that stage now. If it's still the case in twenty years or so there'd be a problem, but not every tournament is at the stage in its development and popularity where it demands comprehensive coverage.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Speaking of Women's Rugby as expected Eir Sport have sub licensed rights to RTE Sport rather than TG4 for the Women's Rugby World Cup which is being played in Ireland, RTE have secured the rights for all Ireland matches and the Women's Rugby World Cup Final which will be played in Belfast as well as Radio Rights.

See More At:
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/0209/851302-rte-to-show-all-irelands-womens-world-cup-games/

Your quite right the Under 19 tournament was held in Ireland 10 years ago and all matches were played in Belfast however only the matches at Ravenhill were covered by TV and were shown live on BBC NI, they had matches in other venues such as Ballymena and Belfast but weren't shown. I remember BBC NI had 2 or 3 matches back to back at Ravenhill and for the final pool matches they kicked off simultaneously and reported scores from elsewhere without and had a single BBC camera for reports or local news.
TM
TMD_24
Is it me or is the stacked ITV Sport logo next to the scoreboard smaller this week?
MY
MY83
It's got a new black border, but I think it's about the same size...
DV
DVB Cornwall
Minor excitement by the score operator for the 75th min Eng try, awarded it to Wales initially.

Newer posts