The Gallery

Good Morning Britain Mock

First time mocking, so please excuse if bad (February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Hi all,

I started to make a graphics mock for GMB, so I'd like your opinion on it.

Please note I've never mocked in my life before, so this may be bad Embarassed .

Image can be found at: http://imgur.com/a/fq7kH (I also have no clue how to make the image appear instead of that blank icon...)
JT
JamesTV
Looks like you've stolen DavidWhitfield's colour pallette, and those ticker dividers look familiar too...

The details text under the BBC One headline looks a bit small. Not too keen on the font you have used.
JO
Josh
Looks like you've stolen DavidWhitfield's colour palette, and those ticker dividers look familiar too...

The details text under the BBC One headline looks a bit small. Not too keen on the font you have used.

It wasn't his, it belonged to ITV and I only used that because I based my ideas off of what GMB is like now and I didn't want to change the branding.

The font I used felt like ITV Reem to me, and couldn't find that font online.
DW
DavidWhitfield
If I may get the housekeeping out of the way first:
It seems eagle-eyed JamesTV has noticed something quite interesting; the picture of the GMB colour palette is indeed mine. A little while ago, I browsed the ITV press pack for Good Morning Britain which contained the colour codes for the on screen graphics. I then used these codes to locate the eight exact shades in the GMB colour palette in order to make my mock as accurate as possible. I made the palette graphic you have posted in order to show the people looking through my mock the eight colours I had used in my designs. While I do not mind you using my picture to extract colours to use in your mock, I would prefer you not posting it as part of your graphics. I don't feel this is unreasonable.

In reference to the mock itself:
Seeing one still image is very little to go on but I would advise you to work on the positioning of the items on screen. The logo, for example, hovers above the ticker, yet the text box to the right does not, while the top of the logo extends above the text box and tag. The ticker is reasonably nicely designed but again is improperly aligned with the clock (which also contains larger text, making it look sloppy). Tweak these simple issues and your mock will be much improved as a result. As for the typeface used, I am not a massive fan; it doesn't strike me as a massively authoritative font for a morning news show to use. I would try to increase the font size of the lower line of text within the white box. Keep working on it and take on board the advice you are given in order to improve this design.
JO
Josh
It seems eagle-eyed JamesTV has noticed something quite interesting; the picture of the GMB colour palette is indeed mine. A little while ago, I browsed the ITV press pack for Good Morning Britain which contained the colour codes for the on screen graphics. I then used these codes to locate the eight exact shades in the GMB colour palette in order to make my mock as accurate as possible. I made the palette graphic you have posted in order to show the people looking through my mock the eight colours I had used in my designs. While I do not mind you using my picture to extract colours to use in your mock, I would prefer you not posting it as part of your graphics. I don't feel this is unreasonable.

Seeing one still image is very little to go on but I would advise you to work on the positioning of the items on screen. The logo, for example, hovers above the ticker, yet the text box to the right does not, while the top of the logo extends above the text box and tag. The ticker is reasonably nicely designed but again is improperly aligned with the clock (which also contains larger text, making it look sloppy). Tweak these simple issues and your mock will be much improved as a result. As for the typeface used, I am not a massive fan; it doesn't strike me as a massively authoritative font for a morning news show to use. I would try to increase the font size of the lower line of text within the white box. Keep working on it and take on board the advice you are given in order to improve this design.

I forgot to take the palette out so just ignore that.
Thanks for the advice.
JB
JasonB
These GMB mocks all look the same..
BB
BBI45

I can only echo what David has said.

30 days later

HA
HAR10110289
What font did you use for the ticker, clock etc. ?
Please reply

28 days later

JO
Josh
What font did you use for the ticker, clock etc. ?
Please reply

Berlin Sans FB.

Update coming soon.
OR
orange
Font is awful and the layout is all over the place, sorry.
BA
bambam35614
Why not use titillium if you're trying to get ITV Reem
JO
Josh
Why not use titillium if you're trying to get ITV Reem

That's what I planned to do for my next update.

Newer posts