The Gallery

Good Morning Britain

Some changes to the way GMB's graphics look and animate. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DW
DavidWhitfield
Logo/background for version two:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u457/DavidWhitfield4/GMB%20LOGO%202017_zpsvebirqdi.png

Also, as promised, here's a video to show you how the 'version two' graphics animate.

Comments, as ever, very welcome. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 31 January 2017 6:41pm - 5 times in total
tmorgan96, BBI45 and JamesTV gave kudos
BB
BBI45
I like the animations for the most part. However, I would prefer it if you slowed down the animations as, at 6:02 in the morning, I would see them and half asleep me would think "Oh... Hello.".

Would anybody else think that... or just me.

But other that that one issue (which may only bother me), I can't really fault the animations and the graphics do the job as well. Nice job. Smile (Would have been nice to have also seen the TOTH animated, but that isn't worth complaining about.)
DB
dbl
I would increase the on-screen bug size , extremely tiny for SD viewers. (even though I appreciate the design)
DW
DavidWhitfield
Thanks for your comments.

I have taken your comments regarding text size on board. I have completely redesigned the contact us and coming up graphics to allow for larger text. You can view the changes in the video below.

P.S. There are other bits and pieces which I have not yet shared, most notably, the TOTH sequence, and split screens. I am working on those and will post them in due course.
BB
BBI45
I rather like the new contact us/coming up graphic. I am also looking forward to seeing the TOTH and split screen as so far you have produced a decent design and I'm sure they will look just as good, if not better. Smile
TV
TVFan2017
I really like design of the graphics. Firstly with the news ticker, I prefer the shorter gap between stories as I feel sometimes on screen it's very slow, I prefer the headline/item straps to be the length of the news ticker as it means it sits neatly together. The only element i feel could be improved would be the logo and if it is really needed. I to am looking forward to seeing how this mock can improve further. 5 Stars!
UBox and DavidWhitfield gave kudos
DW
DavidWhitfield
Greetings.

As promised, the few little bits of presentation I have not yet shown you are slowly but surely coming together.

Today, I would like to share my TOTH sequence with you.

I like the way GMB currently shows the date and goes into the show, so the final few seconds of this video is footage from 'Good Morning Britain' but everything else is 'homemade'.

I hope you like it - let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 3 February 2017 4:04pm - 4 times in total
FA
fanoftv
Very nice, fits in with your design and animates very well.
BB
BBI45
I like how it says 'Top Story' and 'Developing Story' before the story. However, I think it would be better if it slided up rather than down. Also, I'm not sure whether I like the date slowly moving along the bottom. One part of me says it works, but the other part says it doesn't. I'd say maybe try having the date fixed along with ITV News branding.

Moving on. I do like how the TOTH fits in well with the rest of your graphics, unlike the current GMB graphics with a logo shape inspired graphics for the TOTH and live graphic, and a plain and simple box for everything else. I also like the wipe you have included and I would like to see some more created for breaking news, developing story, etc.

So far, this has just been getting better and better. Keep up the good work. Smile
DW
DavidWhitfield
Here's the updated TOTH. I have taken advice regarding the date ticker I had in the first version and removed it. It was unnecessary when the end of the titles announce the date anyway. I've also changed some transitions - namely those between the stories, and the final transition into the 'real' GMB titles.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 3 February 2017 11:49pm - 2 times in total
alexhb01 and JamesTV gave kudos
JT
JamesTV
A very good mock, you've managed to create a well designed, consistent set of graphics that follow the GMB colour scheme and are an improvement of what is used on screen already.

I'm a great fan of the animation used between the Ben and Susanna picture and the first headline. I'm glad you've decided to only use it once in the TOTH though, as the simpler animations work best in between the individual headlines. I really like how the headline straps first display 'TOP STORY', 'HAPPENING TODAY' etc. and then animate smoothly into displaying the headline, and the 'tag' pops up above the headline, very well designed and animated. I know tying in with ITV News probably wasn't one of your aims with this mock, but the squarer design used for your straps ties in with ITV News' design well.

I'd be interested to see the Into Break/Out of Break animations to go with this mock when you create them. Smile
DW
DavidWhitfield
I've made another version of the TOTH, taking inspiration from the Good Morning Britain launch graphics in 2014.

In my mock, the logo is on the right of the screen for the main part of the show, but, as the TOTH sequence uses completely different graphics in terms of animations, positionings and sizings to the main body of the show, I thought I could potentially use this as the TOTH sequence in my mock.

Do let me know what you reckon to this video:

Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 6 February 2017 10:39pm
JamesTV and TVFan2017 gave kudos

Newer posts