TV Home Forum

Sky / Discovery Dispute

Full scale war breaks out - Peace reached with 4.5hrs to go, (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Guys I hate to crash your theory, but I have been speaking to the guys over on the Sky forum, and one of the moderators have explained that Eurosport has a separate advertising contract that was signed before the Discovery takeover, so the adverts on Eurosport are nothing to do with Sky.

Doesn't mean they might have issues with their advertisers who expected their ads to appear on satellite
LF
learned friend
Guys I hate to crash your theory, but I have been speaking to the guys over on the Sky forum, and one of the moderators have explained that Eurosport has a separate advertising contract that was signed before the Discovery takeover, so the adverts on Eurosport are nothing to do with Sky.

Doesn't mean they might have issues with their advertisers who expected their ads to appear on satellite

If true, another wod of cash for Discovery to lose if it stands firm and pulls the channels off. I wonder if Sky are/will look to reduce the price it has paid to advertise on Discovery channels if the channels are no longer on the Sky platform.

Discovery has come this far, if it gives in now they will devalue themselves (ignoring the low class social media campaign they have run against Sky). I hope they stand firm, I think Sky will give in and compromise once/if the channels are pulled. I would be surprised if the channels stayed off for good, but Sky must have calculated everything, they must have known they would lose customers, but they have underestiamted in my opinion. Once large chunks of Sky customers start leaving (I think they will), Sky will then compromise. A meet in the middle deal of some type will be done.

To add, someone has made this helpful Youtube video flicking through the channels that might be lost.

Last edited by learned friend on 30 January 2017 2:45pm - 4 times in total
BA
bilky asko
If this was UKTV channels disappearing, I'd understand the anger. As it is, it's the most banal set of channels on Sky.
UK
UKnews
If this was UKTV channels disappearing, I'd understand the anger. As it is, it's the most banal set of channels on Sky.

Don't pretend everyone else shares your viewing tastes - arguably some of UKTVs output could easily be classed as 'banal'. A significant number of people enjoy the programmes so have the right to be annoyed / angry that they are about to disappear.

Regardless of what you might think of some of the Discovery branded channels a dispassionate assessment could hardly class the highest profile events on Eurosport as 'banal'. Not to your taste perhaps, but far from 'banal'.

The major channel providers of pay channels Sky platform outside of their own channels (excluding HD versions of FTA PSB owned channels) would be:

Viacom (Nickelodeon co-owned)
A&E (co-owned)
National Geographic (21st Century Fox co-owned)
Discovery
UK TV

They're losing one of the five, it leaves one of their packages in particular looking rather bare.
Last edited by UKnews on 30 January 2017 4:33pm
LF
learned friend
I would count UKTV on the same level as Discovery. What does UKTV show a lot of? repeats. As does Sky/Discovery. What level of new content does UKTV show compared to Discovery. I am guessing it's the same level. I am certain, Discovery produce more original content when compared to UKTV. Eurosport is also very high value to many.

Guys, just an update. According to a DS user, a Sky feed has appeared with a message about Discovery no longer being available.

Quote:
4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

The EPG info says "Programme is no longer available".

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=85377474&postcount=304

Don't have a dish so can't check.
Last edited by learned friend on 30 January 2017 5:00pm
ST
Stuart
Guys, just an update. According to a DS user, a Sky feed has appeared with a message about Discovery no longer being available.

4461 11.836 H 27.5 5/6 DVB-S OPSK now showing a caption saying "Unfortunately Sky is not able to bring you this channel as the broadcaster has withdrawn it from the Sky platform".

It's definitely there . . .

http://i64.tinypic.com/9u6oeh.jpg
LF
learned friend
Thanks, a bit 1980's in style.

"at the moment" is interesting.
BR
Brekkie
Info on channel group share here

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/monthly-viewing-by-channel-group/
Stuart, Hatton Cross and bilky asko gave kudos
BA
bilky asko

Don't pretend everyone else shares your viewing tastes - arguably some of UKTVs output could easily be classed as 'banal'. A significant number of people enjoy the programmes so have the right to be annoyed / angry that they are about to disappear.

Regardless of what you might think of some of the Discovery branded channels a dispassionate assessment could hardly class the highest profile events on Eurosport as 'banal'. Not to your taste perhaps, but far from 'banal'.

I don't pretend to have the same views as everyone else. But the viewing figures suggest UKTV comes well above Discovery's channels.
DA
davidhorman
Thanks, a bit 1980's in style.

Looks like 4:3 stretched.
HC
Hatton Cross

Ouch.
Quest+1 a timeshift channel showing repeats from the main Discovery Channel, has the equal share percentage with the flagship Discovery Channel.
Wouldn't mind betting that little statistical titbit was used by Sky in the talks over a deal with Discovery...
DV
DVB Cornwall
That's wholly expected seeing as Quest +1 is available Free on Freeview.

Newer posts