The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
This is how Nine (Southern Cross) in Canberra, Australia, is promoting the upcoming launch of a dedicated local newscast for Canberra:

Mouseboy33 and Richard gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
I like the simple Nine News sets they've been rolling out.

Edit : I mean there's not many different presentation areas. There's the desk, a monitor and a video wall stand up. It's nice but there's something simple about not having multiple locations.
MO
Mouseboy33
I agree about Nine News. The new sets are IMO the most professional looking in all of Australian broadcasting. Most of their sets in the past looked quite "amateurish". Something seemed off about them. The materials or the design overall wasnt very good. These are IMO international standard. Fully designed. Not just sheets upon sheers of gray laminate and a big screen.
GU
guest03
Kabel 1 Nachrichten (2000), Germany

BR
Brekkie

Edit : I mean there's not many different presentation areas. There's the desk, a monitor and a video wall stand up. It's nice but there's something simple about not having multiple locations.

Does seem from test shots on MediaSpy they'll be green screened, which potentially enables the bulletins to have a local backdrop even for the elements broadcast across the state.
AB
ABC Australia

Does seem from test shots on MediaSpy they'll be green screened, which potentially enables the bulletins to have a local backdrop even for the elements broadcast across the state.

Just wait until the bulletin goes to air, atm they could just be using keyed backdrops because the set for the new regional news might not be ready yet.
RK
Rkolsen

Just wait until the bulletin goes to air, atm they could just be using keyed backdrops because the set for the new regional news might not be ready yet.

From what I understood was that the big backdrops were actually 9 meter long video walls.
WW
WW Update
When Nine News launches in the Southern Cross markets, will both WIN and Nine -- local competitors -- use the same Cool Hand Luke theme?
TM
tmorgan96
When Nine News launches in the Southern Cross markets, will both WIN and Nine -- local competitors -- use the same Cool Hand Luke theme?

Looks likely. WIN hasn't changed a thing about their bulletin since their affiliation change to Network Ten so at this stage it looks likely WIN will be playing a strategy of confusing viewers and hoping a number of viewers looking for the SCA-Nine service will accidentally tune into the WIN service.

For anyone unfamiliar with WIN, they're unbelievably petty. For a decade they inflicted viewers with solid watermarks on sports telecasts to cover up the Nine watermark. In 2007, when Nine and WIN were going through a spat, WIN placed a bar across the L3s of the Today Show to prevent regional viewers from seeing astons.

WW Update and Rkolsen gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
And in recent months they've replaced their clear waternark with a blue map of Australia behind the WIN logo.
WW
WW Update
In 1987, an unknown "video pirate" overrode the signals of two Chicago stations, interrupting their programming and broadcasting o video of Max Headroom doing naughty things in its place. This is how the event was covered on Chicago's local TV news:

:-(
A former member
I;m sure there is a thread or two about that on here.

Newer posts