The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LX
lxflyer
Is George Alagaiah returning to GMT? Is Lucy Hockings still covering?

I get the impression that GMT is Lucy's gig now (Stephen Sackur on Fridays) with her name having been on the titles.

14 days later

AS
AlexS
Maxine Mawhinney has moved back to weekend mornings starting from today.

:-(
A former member
So Maxine now 10am - 2pm with the new person (I forget her name) 2pm - 6pm So what happened to Gavin?
HB
HarryB
So Maxine now 10am - 2pm with the new person (I forget her name) 2pm - 6pm So what happened to Gavin?

New person... Lukwesa Burak
:-(
A former member

Cheers, I do remember she did a stint or a trail run a few months back in that same slot.
AS
AlexS

Lukwesa has presented all of the weekend shifts at one point or another over the last few months however I'd be surprised if Lukwesa was the permanent presenter, as bringing in an additional presenter when you already have permanent presenters without shifts and efficiency savings are needed is frankly absurd. As for Gavin he was still on dateline this morning and presented the '5' and film review yesterday.
Last edited by AlexS on 28 January 2017 6:07pm
RN
Rolling News
So I'm guessing Gavin must be the axed weekend newsreader and a victim of the further cuts that were announced in October? Although as stated above he's still doing News at Five, the Film Review and Dateline.
AS
AlexS
So I'm guessing Gavin must be the axed weekend newsreader and a victim of the further cuts that were announced in October? Although as stated above he's still doing News at Five, the Film Review and Dateline.

Unless dateline can be recorded on Fridays I'd imagine this change would cost the BBC more not less.
CH
chris
AlexS posted:

Unless dateline can be recorded on Fridays I'd imagine this change would cost the BBC more not less.

I don't know when they could record it on a Friday considering it was in E.

Did Maxine do the TOTH on Saturday after Dateline from the catwalk? That's usually a clue that Dateline is live.
WO
Worzel
Quote:
Did Maxine do the TOTH on Saturday after Dateline from the catwalk? That's usually a clue that Dateline is live.

I wouldn't necessarily use that as a guide as most TOTHs (even at weekends) are now done standing.
AS
AlexS
Shaun Ley on this afternoon, suggesting that as suspected the new schedule isn't fully in place yet.
CH
chris
Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily use that as a guide as most TOTHs (even at weekends) are now done standing.

The headlines with a single presenter are never done standing at the catwalk. That was always the giveaway.

Newer posts