TV Home Forum

Sky / Discovery Dispute

Full scale war breaks out - Peace reached with 4.5hrs to go, (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
TMD_24

HC
Hatton Cross
This 'catalogue of documentaries', would that be the same that are repeated ad nauseam early morning on Sky Atlantic?

And Mr Choi, Sky have told you what they will fill the Discovery and Discovery +1 hole with - but what about the other 11 Discovery channels?
TVF
TV Forum Team
Posts from Discovery Channels To Be Pulled From Sky? have been merged into this topic.
TVF
TV Forum Team
This topic has been moved from Mass Media & Technology .
TM
TMD_24
Not good considering Eurosport have the Olympics from next and they would have hoped it pulled in loads of viewers including those on the Sky platform.
:-(
A former member
Why isn't Eurosport on Freeview, that might be one way to get around it.
DV
dvboy
Jon posted:
I think this potentially damages Discovery more than it goes Sky.

Sky as far as it's concerned is the largest platform for Discovery content - but any removal would reduce reach dramatically. Virgin and BT aren't anywhere near the numbers that Sky have.

Not even having Quest, which is largely successful on the Freeview platform, would prevent any reduction of reach.

Quest is apparently not on the at risk list.

Note, Sky sell the advertising on Discovery's channels so might be a bit of an own goal here.
:-(
A former member
Quest is being used alot for some eurosport content.
BR
Brekkie
Not good considering Eurosport have the Olympics from next and they would have hoped it pulled in loads of viewers including those on the Sky platform.

Am wondering if Eurosport is under a separate deal as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in this. Possible their current deal was struck by the previous owners.

If Sky hold out how quickly can they reallocate the EPG slots?
RE
Rex
dvboy posted:
Jon posted:
I think this potentially damages Discovery more than it goes Sky.

Sky as far as it's concerned is the largest platform for Discovery content - but any removal would reduce reach dramatically. Virgin and BT aren't anywhere near the numbers that Sky have.

Not even having Quest, which is largely successful on the Freeview platform, would prevent any reduction of reach.

Quest is apparently not on the at risk list.

Note, Sky sell the advertising on Discovery's channels so might be a bit of an own goal here.

Noticed it on the Keep Discovery FAQs - Quest isn't listed. It's almost all Discovery channels, as well as Eurosport, that are getting pulled off Sky.

Their overall reach will fall, even if they've got Quest doing very well due to Freeview carriage.

Part of this really seems to be Sky trying to squeeze channel owners' carriage fees while overpaying for the PL rights.
KE
kernow
This reminds me of Marmitegate, which got resolved in the end!

I'm sure this dispute will also get resolved at some point.
RE
Rex
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/12/skys-high-price-for-football-rights-puts-squeeze-on-channel-prov/

So this has been going on for multiple months - not surprised.

Newer posts