The Newsroom

ITV Regional Political Programmes

New Look (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
It seems that the Thursday night ITV Regional Political programmes have had a slight revamp.

They have a brand new set that is a replica of the ITV News set. I guess the previous set was pushing 10 years plus?

News titles and theme music also! This also matches the ITV News look, apart from the theme which sounds like an Ibiza club track slightly....
DB
dbl
The set looks a lot nicer now, matches the current ITV News branding. I take it they're all pre-recorded from Millbank?
Last edited by dbl on 19 January 2017 11:09pm
BS
Ben Shatliff
It is nice they have given the programmes a makeover and it looks good from the bits I have seen so far. I will watch The Granada Debate and The Late Debate later. They have had the forger studios for many years and music too.

Are these available to download anywhere? I remember years ago you could see Party People on the ITV Granada website but that seemed to stop quite some time ago.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
That's quite a clever move, meaning that if a region needs to do an episode locally their set roughly matches.

Is the ITV Millbank operation separate to ITN's? Would this set be available for ITN contingency decamps?
JK
JK08

EA
Earlie37
Some of those set tweaks (e.g. the blue backlighting and squared lit up pillars) would certainly brighten up the black drabness of the regional sets.
fanoftv, bkman1990 and Jory gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
ITV Wales have long been relighting their own set for the political programming and it generally looks quite good. (See here

Here is the Border version - I assume all regions have the same title sequence:
http://www.itv.com/news/border/2017-01-19/where-does-theresas-may-landmark-speech-leave-us-and-will-it-mean-a-second-independence-referendum-in-scotland/
Last edited by Brekkie on 20 January 2017 10:27pm - 2 times in total

41 days later

BS
Ben Shatliff
Here's a point. With the news move I would expect the regional political programmes to move to 11:15 but would they go to the 7:30 slot as just once a month or is that just wishful thinking?
SW
Steve Williams
Here's a point. With the news move I would expect the regional political programmes to move to 11:15 but would they go to the 7:30 slot as just once a month or is that just wishful thinking?

Highly unlikely, I would say, they're not commissioned due to any great desire to have them there, but to meet quotas. If they were going to move them anywhere they'd probably shift them to weekend daytime.
NE
newsman1

Highly unlikely, I would say, they're not commissioned due to any great desire to have them there, but to meet quotas. If they were going to move them anywhere they'd probably shift them to weekend daytime.

The ITV regional political shows being on at 11:15 isn't necessarily negative. After all, Andrew Neil's "This Week" on BBC 1 is on at 11:45 (in England, often later than that in the rest of the UK).

Besides, the ITV programmes being discussed on this thread probably don't cost huge amounts to make.
BS
Ben Shatliff

The ITV regional political shows being on at 11:15 isn't necessarily negative. After all, Andrew Neil's "This Week" on BBC 1 is on at 11:45 (in England, often later than that in the rest of the UK).

Besides, the ITV programmes being discussed on this thread probably don't cost huge amounts to make.

Like you say not negative. I know two years ago they made a big thing about them being on at 10:45. 11:15 will be fine. I just wondered if thry could go out earlier and see what kind of response they would get but 11AM on Sundays after Peston On Sunday could be a good slot too.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Did they? I can't recall a bit fuss about these programmes ever.

There is no way a regional political show would air at 7:30, they didn't even air at that time when everything was pretty much guaranteed 10m viewers!

Newer posts