Media Websites

BBC.co.uk - site cutbacks & beyond

Split from bbc.co.uk (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
iPlayer sign on has been in the works for well over 12months, it's needed for BBC Store and the proposed subscription service. As for licence evasion, it's sad that many European licence funded broadcasters don't have the pressures of politics and evasion and are happy to allow significant subsets of their equivalents to the iPlayer to be open to international consumption.
LL
London Lite Founding member
If you use Google or Facebook to sign in to your BBC ID, you'll be prompted to sign up for a password and submit a password. This happened to me on the BBC News page.

27 days later

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Looks like the BBC News home page has had a layout reshuffle. The right hand column currently doesn't start until after all the main news headlines. I wonder if this possibly in preparation for a beyond 1000px responsive layout.
PE
permotio
Looks like the BBC News home page has had a layout reshuffle. The right hand column currently doesn't start until after all the main news headlines. I wonder if this possibly in preparation for a beyond 1000px responsive layout.

I like! More on one screen. Appears that this is only the homepage right now.

53 days later

JO
johnnyboy Founding member
BBC Idents programme page

Never seen this before. There's not a huge amount to get excited about with the page but it does make you wonder how many hidden treasures there may be on the programmes website.

32 days later

RE
Rex
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-bbc-iplayer-discontinued-on-wii-u-today

BBC iPlayer has been discontinued on Wii U - apparently due to a licensing issue. Not that anyone would get concerned considering the Wii U was a commercial failure from the looks of it.

Meanwhile, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 - two consoles that are a decade old continue to have support for iPlayer - could be attributed to a sizeable number of people using it on these devices. Not being negative though, nice to see they're still supporting it!
JA
JAS84
Meh. The Wii U itself has been discontinued anyway, so no surprise it's losing third party support. Nintendo actually recalled them all to stop people from buying that system instead of the new Switch that launches in March.
MY
MY83
Meanwhile, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 - two consoles that are a decade old continue to have support for iPlayer - could be attributed to a sizeable number of people using it on these devices. Not being negative though, nice to see they're still supporting it!

Whereas more modern set top boxes like the WDTV Live have limited iPlayer / BBC app support (catchup only, no live streaming)
BA
Bail Moderator
This logo was launched in 2005, wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/2107f1de61d70a2669dbbf740138a3306776982c.gif

What...? I just don't want the mock bbc news logo to be this topics thumbnail... it was that or tesco value chicken.
JF
JetixFann450
Bail posted:

What...? I just don't want the mock bbc news logo to be this topics thumbnail... it was that or tesco value chicken.

Well, i'm surprised the BBCi logo is 11 years old, which to be honest, stopped being used in late 2008, so that makes the BBCi branding lasting for nearly 7 years. The logo was still used on interactive TV until the logo was replaced with just the BBC blocks.
RE
Rex
Bail posted:

Tesco Value Chicken was in the Digital TV Deals thread, I think.

MY83 posted:

Whereas more modern set top boxes like the WDTV Live have limited iPlayer / BBC app support (catchup only, no live streaming)

Hmm....not much to say about that.

Regardless, iPlayer on both last gen machines is dependent on the online networks linked to it - it's also a case if the BBC see if it's viable enough. The decline's already been set on the games side of things (since mid-2015), I'd either expect support to end in the later part of the decade, or when PSN/XBL support ends for both systems.
JO
Joe
Bail posted:

Thank you for that. I really couldn't remember what I'd done to get my ban all those months ago! Very Happy

Newer posts