TV Home Forum

UTV rebrand

New look to bring it in line with ITV (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
ttt
ttt posted:

The current ITV logo/branding is very strong and will, I believe, be around for quite a while. I would not link the demise of the UTV brand with a refresh of ITV's corporate branding. The UTV brand will have been long gone by the time ITV takes the decision to update its corporate branding.

Really? Hmmm. You have a different idea of 'strong' to me. As far as I am concerned ITV's branding epitomises bland, corporate non-entity. Although BBC1 has taken boring to the next level in 2017.

Interesting because when it launched it was described as anything but corporate and bland. Many said it looked not serious enough and therefore it wouldn't fit when used on ITV News.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I disagree, and always have.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm sure people said the letters B, B and C in plain boxes was bland and corporate. Hasn't done them too badly.
MK
Mr Kite
They're quite different though. The BBC logo could be considered 'bland' in that it's plain and simple. You could argue the same for the McDonalds 'M'. The current ITV logo is joined up writing. It doesn't look too bad on the idents (albeit the idents are rather boring) but doesn't look that great when in small form, nor does it suit things like ITV News. It'll be around for a few years yet but I bet my bottom dollar the BBC blocks will still be there when it does go.
Last edited by Mr Kite on 17 January 2017 6:06pm
BR
Brekkie
It has worked without issue for ITV News for four years. Probably works better than any previous ITV logo has actually.
MK
Mr Kite
Well, I disagree. It's far from a great logo. Most of its predecessors weren't that hot either but even so.
DB
dbl
At least it's more distinctive, the 2006 logo looks so poor next to it.
MK
Mr Kite
I wouldn't disagree with that necessarily. Still not a fan of it though.
MM
MMcG198
<<<Accidentally overwrote this post when preparing a new post. Can't be bothered retyping>>>
Last edited by MMcG198 on 21 January 2017 8:08pm - 2 times in total
UM
UlsterMan123
Just saw I ITV branded Trail for the voice interesting times ahead then
UM
UlsterMan123
ITV branded trail/UTV
UM
UlsterMan123
Yep pretty much itv branded trails all the time today. Won't be very long before cooperate identity is common place. And national voice overs take over as well
UM
UlsterMan123
Now we're back with a utv branded trail/itv trail duel branding kicking in

Newer posts