The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
derek500
I think I mentioned about the picture quality of the main studio deteriorating a few months ago when they launched the glass box.

Also bad with the inserts from Sky Sports News. Used to be able to clearly read their Sky Sports lapel badges, now they're blurred.
SK
skyviewer
There are no outside-shots of the glass box anymore when going into a break.
TV
TV Dan
There are no outside-shots of the glass box anymore when going into a break.

There was today, just before 3pm...
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sophy Ridge on Sunday will be repeated later at 9.30pm with a highlights package. I'd personally replace The Pledge repeat at 8pm instead.
II
IrelandIsle
I think I mentioned about the picture quality of the main studio deteriorating a few months ago when they launched the glass box..

There's lots of noise as well on any blue backgrounds and very grainy and washed out, it's certainly not HD anymore and looks even poor for standard definition.

Is there a fault, or is this a case of dumbing down the output standard to make the glass box look better, or simply another cost cutting measure?
NJ
news junkie
I think I mentioned about the picture quality of the main studio deteriorating a few months ago when they launched the glass box.

Also bad with the inserts from Sky Sports News. Used to be able to clearly read their Sky Sports lapel badges, now they're blurred.

What are you classing as the main studio? Sky News Centre or the glass box?
If it is Sky News Centre, it could be that the glass box has 4k cameras whereas Sky News Centre has HD hence the difference?
RK
Rkolsen

If it is Sky News Centre, it could be that the glass box has 4k cameras whereas Sky News Centre has HD hence the difference?

Could be because that they are using a different brand. The glass box appears to have Sony cameras while the Sky News Center is based on Grass Valley. Maybe it's not a deterioration on their part but the difference between the two cameras is noticeable?

I've seen posts by sports cameramen on Twitter and Instagram share photos and anecdotes from their different gigs. They seem to prefer Sony equipment based on ease of use and picture quality while despising Ikegami rigs.
II
IrelandIsle
I have recorded footage on my sky box from before the glass box launched and it's razor sharp in sky news centre and much different and worse now.

I also don't own a 4k tv.
DE
derek500

The old studio, the one used in the evenings. The picture quality from the glass box is excellent.
NJ
news junkie

The old studio, the one used in the evenings. The picture quality from the glass box is excellent.

Then I'd probably suggest it is due to the cameras (https://www.sony.co.uk/pro/press/pr-sony-sky-news-uk-upgrades-for-the-future) as even though Sky News 4k doesn't exist, it would make the picture quality for Sky News HD and SD crisper anyway, not up to 4k standard but crisper none the less.

Also add in to the mix the studio lighting, probably LED compared to the traditional lamps that Sky News Centre probably has, as well as the natural lighting in the building that is more prominent than at Sky News Centre.
MA
mapperuo
I have seen the noise before, its often blue, very very noticeable they must have the db quite high.
II
IrelandIsle
Stating that it is to do with cameras is missing the point.

Sky News at the old studio doesn't look so bad because of the fact that we are used to seeing better cameras in the new studio, to suggest that may be what someone would want viewers to think, but it simply isn't the case.

I have on my Sky Box a press preview from 12 months ago and one from this week. The first one is crisp, solid colours with details and very sharp and no picture noise or grainy appearance on the blue background. The one recorded this week is blurry, lots of picture noise, not very sharp and colours are very grainy.

The difference in quality is visible between 12 months ago and this month in the same studio using the same camera positions, bringing the glass box and what cameras into this debate is a complete red herring by people who don't want to answer why the quality in the old studio has fallen so much in the last 12 months.

Newer posts