TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Whats the deal with this??

Wait a min, thats a sting?

Only when you take a step back, do you see the full picture.

Sting with accompanying ident explaining all...

http://www.theidentgallery.com/misc/misc/BBC1-2017-STING-221B-1.mp4
CG
Charlie Gough
BBC One should just have used the Sherlock sting as the ident before the episode, much like they do with 'Let it Shine'.
MR
mr_vivian
You just couldn't write this stuff. The BBC obviously don't like what they are using.

It's a failed experiment.

I don't expect them to have a new look in place this year though. If it happens it won't be till 2018 and I'd be surprised if the BBC logo remains in its current form beyond 2018.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
23 pages since I last looked in here. Saw the Forrest ident after Sherlock into the news tonight. You can't really call that an ident though - motionless, bland, lifeless and visually uninteresting - sums up BBC1 at the moment.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
"What thoughts and images come into your mind when I mention BBC1?"

"A bunch of trees."

"OK. Thanks."
:-(
A former member
Whats the deal with this??

Wait a min, thats a sting?

Only when you take a step back, do you see the full picture.

Sting with accompanying ident explaining all...

http://www.theidentgallery.com/misc/misc/BBC1-2017-STING-221B-1.mp4

I caught it at 9pm. Wink
RE
Rex
23 pages since I last looked in here. Saw the Forrest ident after Sherlock into the news tonight. You can't really call that an ident though - motionless, bland, lifeless and visually uninteresting - sums up BBC1 at the moment.

It's essentially film with a logo slapped on - it manages to be far more lifeless than any of the other four idents aired. No post-production techniques, no creativity of the sort and it definitely does not represent BBC ONE as a whole.

Compare it to the last three pres packages (the Balloon, Rhythm and Movement and the Circles), and you can see a huge difference. Rhythm and Movement, featured red as its colour motif - and had a decent to middling soundtrack for the most part. The circles were a nod to the globe whilst instantly carving itself as a recognisable symbol. And who could forget about the legendary globe - wrapped up in a hot air balloon, traveling all over the UK's landscapes, showing the beauty of the country with a sublime soundtrack?
JA
JAS84
Wicko posted:
Yes, it does seem as if a sudden change of heart has occurred at the BBC. It was simply unsustainable for Sea Swimmers and Exercise class to be used for 31 days non-stop. It also clearly demonstrates just how an authoritive ident the singular spinning globe was. That could be used for every junction bar none because it represented quality and authority. I think if the BBC had a bold and instantly recognisable symbol, they could easily get away with just one or two variations. I wonder if they will now rush out more idents in order to enhance the new set more quickly?

I think the crux of the matter is that whoever launched the new look with just two idents was clearly making a major misjudgement. I doubt that we'll ever see a rebrand like that again!
Yeah, if they're only going to have one or two versions, it needs to be a CG one, not live action. They could've just evolved the circle theme. They could have different circular objects, including the traditional globe as the news/obit ident. The January 2015 package had the right idea, they should've made more than just two full idents and used them for longer, those certainly didn't attract endless complaints, unlike Oneness.

http://tvlive.org.uk/tv-presentation/bbc/bbc-one/bbc-one-2006-2016/bbc-one-special-presentation-2015/
orange, Wicko and Charlie Gough gave kudos
CG
Charlie Gough
Rolling out new idents earlier than planned could also mean the BBC are trying to end the whole 'oneness' campaign earlier than planned, so they can either revert back to the 'circles' in a few months, or launch a fresh new look, that is hopefully more tasteful.

I could just be having another 'wishful thinking' moment though.
WI
Wicko
Rolling out new idents earlier than planned could also mean the BBC are trying to end the whole 'oneness' campaign earlier than planned, so they can either revert back to the 'circles' in a few months, or launch a fresh new look, that's hopefully more tasteful.

I could just be having another 'wishful thinking' moment though.

Making such a big thing about "The Circles have been replaced after ten years" or "Goodbye to BBC1's Hippos" in the press would suggest that it is unlikely they will revert back to the circles. I reckon we could be in for a fresh new look in the Autumn though. But, again, this is just me getting my hopes up.

If anyone's interested, here's an article about BBC One's New Look:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/01/new-look-bbc-one-thumbs-down-from.html
Last edited by Wicko on 16 January 2017 12:51am
SC
scottishtv Founding member

If you zoom in enough, you can just about see this:
JA
james-2001
So basically this ident set is so much of a mess they've had to pull out the obituary ident for regular use into news and serious programming after less than 2 weeks?

Newer posts