Mass Media & Technology

Skybox and Router issues

A power related question (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Hi

My parents setup has an unusual issue. Whenever a light is switched on both the Sky+ box shows a blue screen for a few seconds and stops recording or downloading if its doing so and their plusnet router powers down and takes 15-20 mins to re-initialise. This happens 3-4 times day and its maddening.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen and if they have is there a solution?

Many thanks.
DO
dosxuk
What sort of light fitting is doing it? This sort of behaviour is common when there's a brown out or EM spike, both signs of electical faults.
NL
Ne1L C
A standard ceiling light.
DO
dosxuk
Tungsten, halogen, fluorescent, led?
NL
Ne1L C
A mixture of fluorescent and energy saving bulbs.
BA
Bail Moderator
Try getting your hands on one these (or similar) and plug router and sky box into it.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TACS929.html
NL
Ne1L C
I'll have a look at that, Thanks Very Happy
DO
dosxuk
Try getting a new starter motor for the fluorescent light too. They can kick out quite a bit of EMF when they start to go.

43 days later

BA
Bail Moderator
Follow up requested, did any of this ever fix your issues Neil?
NL
Ne1L C
Hi.

It wasn't the power. It was a dodgy HDMI cable! Shocked I switched it for a SCART and it solved the problem. Very Happy
DA
davidhorman
Hi.

It wasn't the power. It was a dodgy HDMI cable! Shocked I switched it for a SCART and it solved the problem. Very Happy

Dodgy HDMI something , but not necessarily the cable. I'd suggest getting the electrics looked at. Not worth the risk if there is a problem.

Is the satellite feed, by any chance, a communal one? I.e. your parents don't have their own dish?
NL
Ne1L C
The electrics have been checked and have been given the green light. Its a private dish.

Newer posts