TV Home Forum

3, 3e and be3 - Jan 2017 relaunch

The Power of 3 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
denton
Is News at Seven coming from the old UTV Ireland, Ireland Live, studio? Or have they closed that facility since the relaunch?
CH
chinamug
Is News at Seven coming from the old UTV Ireland, Ireland Live, studio? Or have they closed that facility since the relaunch?

Those bulletins are coming from the TV3 News Studio in Ballymount. According to TV3 they're going to be building some sort of new News studio in the coming months.

http://www.echo.ie/news/article/tv3-begins-to-spread-wings-with-plans-for-new-television-studio

Various press outlets said that the UTV Ireland Newsroom was Stripped down over the weekend.
CR
ColonelRed
So this concludes the UTV Ireland saga.

UTV now owned by ITV plc and UTV Ireland is owned by TV3 (The channel it was supposed to beat)

To be fair it's John Malone and Virgin that came to the rescue of TV3 and then UTV Ireland. Two basket-cases of stations even though they shouldn't have been if they had actually run their operations correctly. The only true winners here are the ITV group, where they'll get a handsome amount from the TV3 group over the next 10 years with none of the losses.

As mentioned in another post I feel sorry for the staff who lost their jobs caught up in the vanity project that was UTV Ireland. Must be pretty galling as well for the UTV board who saw their then profitable TV business decimated. One wonders what would have happened if the Dublin staff had been allowed to run it independently from the 'experts' in Belfast.
On the news front it's a shame the female anchor didn't jump to TV3 - she was UTV Irelands only talent asset imo
TT
TellyTime

No one said all of them, and I'm sure some people will be put out. As I said it is a pain for those that can't record ITV and various other channels on SKY. However, It does seem to be a minority. It's basically no change for those with SKY or Freesat outside of Dublin. The Lack of UTV and UTV Ireland is far more a problem for those with VIrgin who are mostly within the pale. BIg following of Coronation Street in the office I'm in this week (In east cork) , none of them even knew that UTV Ireland had gone off air as they all watch on ITV HD on Sat. (most have freesat systems)

In fact I have seen very few complaints about the end of UTV Ireland, with the two exceptions of their News service and the lack of GMB and Lorraine. Most comments online seem to say good riddance. It was very much unloved because of the loss of UTV Ulster but again most of those comments seem to come from those in Dublin and Virgin Customers.

Glad that you've finally acknowledged that some Sky customers are affected by what TV3 does and it's only your opinion that it's a minority. As I originally said some Sky customers will be disappointed that they aren't able to watch 3e and be3 in HD and will complain to Sky, that is exactly what Virgin Media wants as it will help them with future channel negotiations.

I clarified my earlier point which you missed. Of course some Sky customers are affected but I've yet to meet one, and that's not to say they don't exist, but the people that I'm around either have a set up that suits them or are happy to use the other Channel option. I checked on other boards and most of the main complaints to Sky seem to be that TV3, Be3 and 3e exist! Several people saying that they wouldn't mind those disappearing from the EPG and UTV and the ITV's appearing on it. Not exactly a strong starting position for Virgin Media. The TV3 group of channels are not exactly a premium product. Having said that we'll have to give them a chance to see if they change their ways. Some of their presentation changes are positive after years of a very poor look.

I didn't miss any such point, your negative view towards the TV3 channels (and also of Virgin Media) including how you feel they are perceived by Sky customers is clear to all. You claim that people you know do X and people on other forums are saying X but so what, it does not disprove my original point in any way.

I didn't come to a TV presentation forum to hear what you think other people think, you've challenged my point, fine, but there is no need for a lengthy debate about it.
CH
chinamug

I didn't miss any such point, your negative view towards the TV3 channels (and also of Virgin Media) including how you feel they are perceived by Sky customers is clear to all. You claim that people you know do X and people on other forums are saying X but so what, it does not disprove my original point in any way.

I didn't come to a TV presentation forum to hear what you think other people think, you've challenged my point, fine, but there is no need for a lengthy debate about it.

I'm negative towards lots of things in Irish Broadcasting. TV3 is one of them, they've done a huge amount of damage to broadcasting and the Irish Exchequer in the past. But I also have problems with RTE, and others but this thread is not about them. I have also said that I'm willing to give TV3 another chance because of Virgin Media, but the way UTV Ireland staff were treated would raise doubts.

Your original point was that the stations are a great bargaining chip for Virgin. I disagree entirely. You also said that the majority of viewers won't manually tune in ITV. I am not aware of any that haven't done that at this point (people have had over 10 years to do it.) Obviously there are some that haven't but I haven't come across them recently.

You didn't come here to hear what I think, that's fair enough... Just ignore me as I'm sure others do. I'll help by not responding to you from this point onwards. But if you come to any online forum you'll get points of view that are not same as your own and you'll get debate, why else would you bother logging on?

My final point on this is that I have noticed a pattern down through the years, where I or others criticize the TV3 group, there will always be someone coming along to give out, bully and shut down comment on the subject, usually from new accounts...
Last edited by chinamug on 12 January 2017 11:42am
TT
TellyTime

I'm negative towards lots of things in Irish Broadcasting. TV3 is one of them, they've done a huge amount of damage to broadcasting and the Irish Exchequer in the past. But I also have problems with RTE, and others but this thread is not about them. I have also said that I'm willing to give TV3 another chance because of Virgin Media, but the way UTV Ireland staff were treated would raise doubts.

Your original point was that the stations are a great bargaining chip for Virgin. I disagree entirely. You also said that the majority of viewers won't manually tune in ITV. I am not aware of any that haven't done that at this point (people have had over 10 years to do it.) Obviously there are some that haven't but I haven't come across them recently.

You didn't come here to hear what I think, that's fair enough... Just ignore me as I'm sure others do. I'll help by not responding to you from this point onwards. But if you come to any online forum you'll get points of view that are not same as your own and you'll get debate, why else would you bother logging on?

My final point on this is that I have noticed a pattern down through the years, where I or others criticize the TV3 group, there will always be someone coming along to give out, bully and shut down comment on the subject, usually from new accounts...

You're perfectly welcome to disagree, as you are entitled to your own opinion, so am I, but you can't tell me that I'm wrong and don't need to go on and on about it.

I didn't say that I wasn't here to hear what you think, I said that I didn't come here to hear what you think others think.

Oh and to reassure you, your suspicions are wrong, I don't work for TV3 or Virgin Media, and other people are allowed to have a positive or optimistic view about TV3 without working for them!

Newer posts