TV Home Forum

ITV win horse racing rights from 2017

Ed Chamberlin confirmed as host (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
Hopefully the ratings for Kindergarten Cop get reported tomorrow. That is what ITV have deemed more important than launching their weekly Saturday coverage on the main channel.

That said whether the film gets more or less viewers than the racing justifies the decision.

I think there's logic for it. ITV know aside the big meets (Cheltenham, Grand National, Derby etc) the ratings won't top more than what they did on Channel 4, but if it cost them the right value and the ratings for ITV4's coverage are better than what they usually would be for the afternoon then it's good business sense.

I agree a lost opportunity but this afternoons races are not a big draw.
:-(
A former member
Going by Todays races ITV may have been right to have it on ITV4, The fog is awful at sandown. Personnel I would have simcast todays and next weeks meeting on ITV to help promote ITV4.
RE
Rex
Will those idents be back before march? Surly ITV has racing on most Saturdays?

Well there was a sixth ident on ITV this morning at 9.25, so yes!

Odd how they kept the ITV ident for ITV4 - the logo just didn't seem right compared to the rest of ITV4's set. And using ITV's music too...

Which in turn was also used for the 1 hour switchoff for I Am Team GB .
TO
tomo359
Surprised ITV4 didn't create their own horse racing ident to add to their collection. Maybe a group of lads in the stands celebrating when their horse wins or something.
Guess it just comes down to cost though.
BR
Brekkie
325,000 for the ITV4 coverage on Saturday, which I suspect they're quite happy with.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/10722904/itv-racing-really-encouraged-following-saturdays-first-live-broadcast-on-itv4?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
NW
nwtv2003

It made the front of the Racing Post, but their tone was that it was significantly less than Channel 4, but what do they expect? Considering that unless there's a big sporting event on, this figure is usually the average high rating for ITV4. So to get that for a Saturday afternoon for ITV4, I think ITV will be pleased at that.
RO
robertclark125
Is the coverage advertised on ITV? Certainly not seen anything on STV.

One possible idea of boosting the ratings may be to have the Saturday morning preview show on ITV/STV/UTV, even if the meeting is on ITV4.
A former member
It seems the horse idents are being used at the weekends but there not telling people. I agree with you some more promotion would be good idea. STV might promote it when it returns to Ch3.
BR
Brekkie

One possible idea of boosting the ratings may be to have the Saturday morning preview show on ITV/STV/UTV, even if the meeting is on ITV4.

Certainly been advertised on ITV. I assume STV don't promote ITV2/3/4 as they're not their channels.
A former member

Certainly been advertised on ITV. I assume STV don't promote ITV2/3/4 as they're not their channels.

Correct there is no ITV2/3/4 promo, but surely the CA on ITV would say coming up on ITV4 live horse racing from xxxx. but now on ITV its our Saturday matinee film?
RO
robertclark125
The Saturday morning preview programme would still be better on ITV/STV/UTV, as opposed to ITV4. It would certainly give more awareness to the fact that there are race meetings on ITV4.

I wonder if, should the coverage start to be successful, we may see ITV move some meetings from ITV4 to ITV/STV/UTV?
BR
Brekkie
Saturdays coverage should get a boost with the surprising news today that the Jockey Club plan to sell Kempton Park for housing.

Newer posts