TV Home Forum

3, 3e and be3 - Jan 2017 relaunch

The Power of 3 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
TellyTime
rdd posted:
I
3e HD is at 105 and be3 HD is at 106 on Virgin Ireland. TV3+1 has been moved up to 110. There is no +1 for be3 currently.

Thanks.

No sign of 3e HD or be3 HD on Sky, so it looks like they might be keeping them exclusive. Makes sense, and a very good bargaining chip for future negotiations about making Sky Atlantic HD available on Virgin Media.

It's not really, since 3e and Be3 are both available in SD on Sky and Sky Atlantic isn't available on Virgin Media at all. Also Sky Atlantic has exclusive HBO shows whereas I struggle to think of anything exclusive on 3e and Be 3 (baring in mind Sky viewers can tune in ITV).

If one accepts Be3 as the continuation of UTV Ireland, does it make it only the second channel in the history of Sky Digital to actually remove its HD service from the platform. The only other example I can think of is the original S4C HD.

The majority of viewers won't manually add ITV, and that is far from being a good workaround.

Withholding any content, especially HD, hurts Sky as their customers will want it, in the same way that Sky withholding any content from Virgin Media hurts them.

There will be lots of disappointed and annoyed Sky customers who won't be able to watch 3e and be3 in HD, I've seen plenty already.
Last edited by TellyTime on 9 January 2017 3:45pm
ED
edmund
That TV3 end board looks very bare. They couldn't even put a picture of the programme beside the text?

Trailer Graphic V2 Smile
http://presentationarchive.com/tv32017/trailer-h.jpg
ED
edmund
Presentation from Be3 available at Presentation Archive here. Just like TV3 and 3e the channel is airing two idents. Both liveaction with one having the be3 on a jar and the other on a cup. Two different trailer styles have been introduced, a full screen version and half screen version. Both trailer designs have four different background styles. So far I have only spotted one sting which uses feathers as its backdrop.

As for TV3 we are yet to see the menu which usually airs before the 5.30 News and the ECP which hopefully will pop up at the end of one of the soaps.

Not sure on the panning in the baking ident, seems very amaturish!
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/baking-f.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/watchingtv-f.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/trailerone-f.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/trailertwo-d.jpg
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:
I

Thanks.

No sign of 3e HD or be3 HD on Sky, so it looks like they might be keeping them exclusive. Makes sense, and a very good bargaining chip for future negotiations about making Sky Atlantic HD available on Virgin Media.

It's not really, since 3e and Be3 are both available in SD on Sky and Sky Atlantic isn't available on Virgin Media at all. Also Sky Atlantic has exclusive HBO shows whereas I struggle to think of anything exclusive on 3e and Be 3 (baring in mind Sky viewers can tune in ITV).

If one accepts Be3 as the continuation of UTV Ireland, does it make it only the second channel in the history of Sky Digital to actually remove its HD service from the platform. The only other example I can think of is the original S4C HD.

The majority of viewers won't manually add ITV, and that is far from being a good workaround.

Withholding any content, especially HD, hurts Sky as their customers will want it, in the same way that Sky withholding any content from Virgin Media hurts them.

There will be lots of disappointed and annoyed Sky customers who won't be able to watch 3e and be3 in HD, I've seen plenty already.

First of all offering 3e as a bargaining chip is like a man at a poker table offering a fake rolex to stay in a game. The only advantage it has is it's high Epg number. It's offers almost nothing that anyone would want to watch that isn't available elsewhere to the SKY viewer with a much better picture. The only show I can think of that it has is the UFC fighting highlights and nearly everyone who wants to watch that will have done so by the time they pop up on 3e.

As for tuning in ITV on SKY boxes. It would be the very odd household that hasn't done this. When they sell you a SKY box the salespeople point out how to get the various channels from ITV and Channel 5 on other Channels. I've a friend who for a long time used to spend his weekends tuning in the various channels to the other channels for older people. That has come to a stop as everyone now has them on Other Channels. UTV Ireland and TV3 were losing a large amount of viewers to ITV every day in Saorview Households because as soon as the Soaps or Xfactor came on, those households would switch straight over to ITV, either on their Skybox, or on a freesat system or on Freeview if they were within range. The picture on Saorview is shocking when it comes to the TV3 stations. (and TG4)

Obviously This isn't the case when it comes to Virgin Cable viewers, but that's another story entirely. They're having a great 12 months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
RD
rdd Founding member
To confirm TV3's news is almost unchanged, though The 5:30's astons now have a 3 News logo instead of The 5:30, like the 12:30 has and News at 8:00 had. With the new logo of course. The sign off has changed to "3 News" (no "TV")
BR
Brekkie
All looks quite good but weak font choices not helping the 3 and be3 trailer end boards.
GE
thegeek Founding member
(deleted - wrong thread)
Last edited by thegeek on 9 January 2017 7:17pm
RD
rdd Founding member
Hmm, while TV3's news is the same, Be 3's is completely different! Just branded "News at Seven" with not a 3 to be seen, red and white look. Very clean looking and quite nice.
CH
chinamug
It appears that TV3 management may have learnt a few lessons from past mistakes. The Chase was on at 6 on be3 and at the end there was a continuity announcement stating that it will continue at 6 on be3.
bkman1990 and Footballer gave kudos
ED
edmund
Caps from the News at Seven on Be3. More here at Presentation Archive. What a difference compared to Ireland Live. I really hope TV3 will impress us when they launch their new studio at a later date. Looks like they are using a new desk as well, not sure if it was changed for News at 5.30.

http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-d.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-f.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/intro-j.jpg
http://presentationarchive.com/be32017/studio-b.jpg
bkman1990, SuperDave and Brekkie gave kudos
TT
TellyTime
First of all offering 3e as a bargaining chip is like a man at a poker table offering a fake rolex to stay in a game. The only advantage it has is it's high Epg number. It's offers almost nothing that anyone would want to watch that isn't available elsewhere to the SKY viewer with a much better picture. The only show I can think of that it has is the UFC fighting highlights and nearly everyone who wants to watch that will have done so by the time they pop up on 3e.

As for tuning in ITV on SKY boxes. It would be the very odd household that hasn't done this. When they sell you a SKY box the salespeople point out how to get the various channels from ITV and Channel 5 on other Channels. I've a friend who for a long time used to spend his weekends tuning in the various channels to the other channels for older people. That has come to a stop as everyone now has them on Other Channels. UTV Ireland and TV3 were losing a large amount of viewers to ITV every day in Saorview Households because as soon as the Soaps or Xfactor came on, those households would switch straight over to ITV, either on their Skybox, or on a freesat system or on Freeview if they were within range. The picture on Saorview is shocking when it comes to the TV3 stations. (and TG4)

Obviously This isn't the case when it comes to Virgin Cable viewers, but that's another story entirely. They're having a great 12 months Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There's plenty of popular content on 3e and be3, much more than on a niche channel like Sky Atlantic.

There've got Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, Wentworth Prison, Ninja Warrior, Celebrity Juice, Midsomer Murders, Loose Women, Doc Martin, Endeavour, Grantchester, Benidorm, The Xtra Factor, Get Me Out of Here Now and Britain’s Got More Talent, Judge Rinder, Jeremy Kyle, Family Guy and American Dad.

The idea that the vast majority of Sky viewers will watch these ITV and Channel 5 programmes via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 is nonsense, they can't even record them that way!

Sky viewers will soon realise that Virgin Media's customers are getting 3e and be3 in HD and they aren't, and will be complaining to Sky. That's exactly what Virgin Media wants.
Last edited by TellyTime on 9 January 2017 8:11pm - 2 times in total
CH
chinamug

There's plenty of popular content on 3e and be3, much more than on a niche channel like Sky Atlantic.

There've got Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, Wentworth Prison, Ninja Warrior, Celebrity Juice, Midsomer Murders, Loose Women, Doc Martin, Endeavour, Grantchester, Benidorm, The Xtra Factor, Get Me Out of Here Now and Britain’s Got More Talent on them.

The idea that the vast majority of Sky viewers will watch these ITV and Channel 5 programmes via Other Channels rather than on TV3/3e/be3 is nonsense, they can't even record them that way!

Sky viewers will soon realise that Virgin Media's customers are getting 3e and be3 in HD and they aren't, and will be complaining to Sky. That's exactly what Virgin Media wants.

Be3 we will have to wait and see as it's obviously still not fully formed. For example showing the chase tonight when it was never scheduled. However, 3e isn't popular. It's all repeats most of the time. When it had no Saorview Carriage it usually had around 1% of Market Share. Once it went on Saorview it increased to between 2 and 3 percent.

Now to be fair it does make a profit for TV3 group (unlike the main station which lost 17 million last year) But it's not a draw to those on satellite. About 60-65% of Households in Ireland have Satellite, either via Sky or freesat. This is not a new development. Most of them have been using other channels and watching HD ITV and other stations for years. That's not going to change, it didn't when UTV Ireland appeared only on SD on Saorview. Even if 3e and be3 appeared on HD SKY in the morning, they're still not showing a lot of ITV shows at the same time. People aren't going to wait a few weeks when their show is on ITV now.

Not been able to record is a pain for those with SKY but there are other ways to get shows they've missed with a high quality picture.

Sky viewers won't be complaining. In fact it's the other way around Virgin viewers complaining about a lack of eir sports, BT sports and now today UTV not being available again because they can't watch Good Morning Britain and Lorraine.

Newer posts