The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AC
aconnell
Sophia Ridge proving comments from users in the past that she isn't the most natural of presenters. She's understandably nervous but her style is too wooden. Certainly some room for improvement but not a disaster, though.

Lots made of Peston when he started his own programme but he has the charisma to carry it - just feel Ridge's show is a bit flat and boring so far. Can't help but feel she's been promoted to her own show a few years too early in her career. But have to say it's had a good line up of guests and reviewers.

Not convinced on the member of the public as a newspaper reviewer. And programme will feel a lot better in Millbank. The big glass box just soaks up the energy on this type of long-form discussion
Last edited by aconnell on 8 January 2017 11:10am
BA
bilky asko
Did they thank Microsoft PowerPoint for its invaluable input in designing the Sophy Ridge on Sunday logo?
AC
aconnell
She's been terrible at handling breaks and that end was shambolic for a first show. Poor time management on the production front.
:-(
A former member
So was centre news south...
AA
Aaron_2015
I think Sophy's first show was actually ok - her interview style works pretty well. The ending was a right shambles though.

The glass box actually looked interesting for the first time since they started using it, which is a plus.
AC
aconnell
Lots of fair praise for the show getting out of Westminster and into communities across the country.

And a good interview with Theresa May. Some good praise for the show on Twitter so far. Just needs a bit more polish and a few more weeks.
LL
London Lite Founding member
If anything, Ridge has proved today that you can be a generation younger than Marr and Peston and still get headline winning quotes from the PM.

Remember, she's not just a presenter, but a journalist for which she is experienced in getting stories from politicians.

Yes, the show needs work and personally moving the show back to the bland Millbank studio next weekend will make comparisons to Murnaghan and Boulton on Sunday harder for Sophy to shake off, but it's not a write off that some on here would like to believe.
NG
noggin Founding member

Remember, she's not just a presenter, but a journalist for which she is experienced in getting stories from politicians.

To be fair - so are Andrew Marr and Robert Peston. It kind of goes with the territory.
LL

To be fair - so are Andrew Marr and Robert Peston. It kind of goes with the territory.

Of course, but there seems to be this perception that because some feel she is a poor presenter that she won't be able to do what Marr, Peston and Murnaghan have done previously.
II
IrelandIsle
She just didn't have the presence for me. The way the show started very robotic and felt that way and wooden through the whole lot of it. The interview wasn't bad but for sky news standards it was very average. Certainly missed Dermot and I have said this before and will say this again.

Sophy is an excellent political reporter and hack who is great at that role add could go right to the very top of that field. But she is being promoted at a ridiculously fast speed through the ranks. The ways it's going it's like she will be the number one anchor within a couple of years.

I get bored listening to her. Forced delivery. Monotone style no energy. But she's clearly liked at sky by important people and clearly delivery and presence is not everything else she would not have her own show and Gamal would not be appearing on mostly nights only.
Last edited by IrelandIsle on 8 January 2017 12:24pm
LL

I get bored listening to her. Forced delivery. Monotone style no energy. But she's clearly liked at sky by important people and clearly delivery and presence is not everything else she would not have her own show and Gamal would not be appearing on mostly nights only.

Worth noting that Gamal chaired the debate about the PM's interview with Sophy after 11.30am today.
MA
mapperuo
She's been terrible at handling breaks and that end was shambolic for a first show. Poor time management on the production front.

I dont understand why they felt the need to cut her off. They then sat at an external shot of the cube for a while so there was plenty time to let her speak...

Newer posts