Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Pizza Hut (delivery only) NOWTV promotion with their Pizza deals.

£19 - Large Pizza, Medium Pizza, Garlic Bread, Wedges, 1.5ltr bottle plus your choice of a Sky Sports Week Pass or a Sky Cinema Month Pass.

£14 - Large Pizza, Garlic Bread, Wedges, 1.5ltr bottle, plus your choice of a Sky Sports Day Pass or a Sky Entertainment Month Pass.

Available from participating Pizza Hut Delivery stores until 31st January 2017. Max 2 Claims per person for NOWTV passes.

All passes have to be redeemed by 14th February 2017.
LL
I'd take this with a pinch of salt. Now Sky aren't confirming this, but it's alleged that Sky are trialling NOW TV in Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1598
NG
noggin Founding member
I'd take this with a pinch of salt. Now Sky aren't confirming this, but it's alleged that Sky are trialling NOW TV in Ireland.

Would make sense - I suspect they buy rights to the Republic for their content for satellite DTH and Sky VoD services - so may well already have OTT rights to most of the stuff ? (Sport may be an issue)
LL

Would make sense - I suspect they buy rights to the Republic for their content for satellite DTH and Sky VoD services - so may well already have OTT rights to most of the stuff ? (Sport may be an issue)

Ireland may get a better deal when it launches than in the UK. There's hardly any slating on the live channels these days and it may be possible that when they've acquired the rights to show via IPTV and VoD that these include Ireland as the DTH rights do for Sky's satellite service.
RD
rdd Founding member
Ireland is the last of Sky's markets not to have a Now TV type service (Sky Ticket as it is in Germany and Austria). It's also the only one or Sky's markets where pay-TV holds a commanding share of viewing. I've always been of the view that Sky has taken a decision that it doesn't need a PAYG service in the Irish market as it's goal is to take existing pay TV subscribers from Virgin Media rather than to convert people who have yet to take pay TV. Cable TV started much earlier in Ireland and was more widespread in 1989 when Sky started than in the U.K, indeed for Sky's first decade or so nearly all of their small number of direct subscriber in Ireland were in rural areas.

Worth nothing that Now TV has never been geoblocked in Ireland, so U.K. Now TV users can use their service in ireland, even though it's not available here!
UKnews and London Lite gave kudos
LL
NOW TV will soon be testing MHEG services on the Smart Box before releasing to all customers.
Last edited by London Lite on 7 January 2017 5:13pm
JA
jake-watson
NOW TV will soon be testing MHEG services on the Smart Box before releasing to all customers.

Hows that going to work without coloured buttons unless now tv plans on releasing a new remote?
RE
Rex

Hows that going to work without coloured buttons unless now tv plans on releasing a new remote?

The FAQs section mentions about Smart Boxes bundled with a remote that has the star button coloured as red - indicating that they're planning to launch red button services.
JA
jake-watson

The FAQs section mentions about Smart Boxes bundled with a remote that has the star button coloured as red - indicating that they're planning to launch red button services.

I see, still it would probably need green, yellow and blue for navigation purposes. Dont forget green can be used to hide the red button prompt on the BBC channels. It would also need number buttons as well? Or is this soley aimed for the streaming channels, MHEG-IC?
LL
My star button on my Smart Box remote is white. It must have been a later addition to the Smart Box after the initial launch.
NG
noggin Founding member

I see, still it would probably need green, yellow and blue for navigation purposes. Dont forget green can be used to hide the red button prompt on the BBC channels. It would also need number buttons as well? Or is this soley aimed for the streaming channels, MHEG-IC?

Could be that the RGYB buttons are implemented via an on-screen keypad? That's how Windows Media Center handled it (in addition to supporting optional RC6 remotes with coloured buttons)

Wonder if they'll also implement HbbTV - as I think both Freeview and Freesat are likely to migrate from MHEG to that standard. BBC are already planning to I think.

I've used HbbTV on a couple of different platforms - and the implementations were great. However it does have potential security issues...
Last edited by noggin on 8 January 2017 4:32pm
DV
DVB Cornwall
It'll be interesting once they crack Red Button services whether they'll extend their offerings to include Red Button content on Sky Sports. Something that's sadly lacking.

Newer posts