TV Home Forum

How can BBC1 create a decent presentation?

Its now at a complete lost in its identity. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GL
Gluben
The should do something similar to The Disney Channel's idents from 1999:

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Channel_(International)/Circles_Idents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ipIjvjoJp0

Loads of colour and energy, loads of variations, and loads of fun!
NB
NextBigThing
At its core the concept of taking snapshots of modern Britain is quite a good one - it has just never been fully thought through. Instead of what we have, the BBC could have commissioned a whole range of different (i.e. diverse) photographers, artists, sculptors etc - the idents themselves would then be about these people creating their compositions with a final form-up showing their results, probably with the actual subject in the background as a kind of comparison & contextualisation. You could have several different versions of the same ident, in each case the same subject matter but with the different artist's view of it (i.e. 10 subject matters x 5 different artists = 50 different ident combinations). The same sonic logo would be used across all of them, but each artist would have their version of it to characterise their unique signature style. This would demonstrate how everyone views things in different ways, and yet how BBC One can bring everyone together in 'oneness'.
GL
Gluben
I don't mind that, provided they don't show people. I'm fed up with people in idents and I really wish broadcasters would move away from them. Channel 4 sort of did but went into a weird area with it, but BBC One and ITV are still stuck with them.
ET
ETP1 Forever
If you must have people in your idents:

CG
Charlie Gough
It's going to be tough to top the helicopter ident for emotional and serious programmes, I would say. This just sets the mood perfectly.

FA
fanoftv
I'd like to see them dig out the lit blocks at the start of this trailer, coupled with the lit set pieces of the 'one' from the one show studio could make a nice change for a large model of the logo to be used in a set of idents.

orange, Quatorzine Neko and Charlie Gough gave kudos
CG
Charlie Gough
I'd like to see them dig out the lit blocks at the start of this trailer, coupled with the lit set pieces of the 'one' from the one show studio could make a nice change for a large model of the logo to be used in a set of idents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLKwjUkyQU

Loving this idea! The blocks and letters placed in well-known/iconic locations around the UK.

Just thinking about these and imagining them made correctly, they could be even better than the circle idents! I can't imagine it would even be a great expense to the BBC.

I'm also picturing some pretty night-time/evening idents with those illuminated BBC blocks...
FBC, Mouseboy33 and Worzel gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
My thinking was that it could be done cheaper by setting everything up in the plaza of broadcasting house with a large projection screen, or projection system onto broadcasting house simulating different scenes. Extras could also mingle around them.
OR
orange
Quite similar to what Fox had as its debut presentation (when FX became Fox)- I still love the idea though!
CG
Charlie Gough
Yes, absolutely. If the BBC were to take inspiration from these, they could create an incredible new look for BBC One.

FB
FBC
For some reason the O in FOX taking a bit longer to light up in those idents always pleased me in a way I can't explain.
tmorgan96 and Charlie Gough gave kudos
JA
james-2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLKwjUkyQU

That trailer and the "TV Goes Cinematic" tagline seems pretty pertinent after the producers decided to stick an awful film look on the Antiques Roadshow for no good reason.

Newer posts