TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
JCB posted:
No, his pilot was done in the old Big Brother house in Bow. He's mentioned this before.

Ah I see. Was the pitch going to be that it was different to the big breakfast and wouldn't come from the house, or was it just done from there for convenience?
WH
Whataday Founding member
The whole first episode has just been posted on YouTube! Very Happy

That Geldof interview is so jarring! And interesting to see Joanna Lumley as the first On The Bed interviewee talking about a certain upcoming comedy series she's starring in...
Last edited by Whataday on 5 January 2017 1:39am
JB
JasonB
I remember someone uploading a good few minutes of the first episode off air as in no breaks and you could see what they got up to in the house during a break. It's good to see this in full rather than the same 36 minutes that keep popping up!
JA
james-2001
I remember someone uploading a good few minutes of the first episode off air as in no breaks and you could see what they got up to in the house during a break.

I remember that video too- though all I really remember from during the breaks were VT clocks and fast forwarding and rewinding tapes as they cued them up. No clock on screen either.
JB
JasonB
I remember someone uploading a good few minutes of the first episode off air as in no breaks and you could see what they got up to in the house during a break.

I remember that video too- though all I really remember from during the breaks were VT clocks and fast forwarding and rewinding tapes as they cued them up. No clock on screen either.

If you had headphones on you could still hear them behind the clock. One bit had Chris and Gaby cueing each other on what to say after the question about the clip with Chris sounding enthusiastic about the whole show.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I really like the way the house isn't full of people whooping and hollering constantly. I watched from the very early days when it was still up against TV-am and reliving the whole of that first episode back reminds me how fresh it was. It really did become an over the top parody of itself within a year or two.

Also that original boudoir set was nice, as were the angles used.
JB
JasonB
I really like the way the house isn't full of people whooping and hollering constantly. I watched from the very early days when it was still up against TV-am and reliving the whole of that first episode back reminds me how fresh it was. It really did become an over the top parody of itself within a year or two.

Also that original boudoir set was nice, as were the angles used.

Also Chris and Gaby aren't seen together much apart from one or two occasions in that episode. I wonder what the second episode looked like?
WO
Worzel
The whole first episode has just been posted on YouTube! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrpD8whbFZQ

That Geldof interview is so jarring! And interesting to see Joanna Lumley as the first On The Bed interviewee talking about a certain upcoming comedy series she's starring in...

Watching that news bulletin, it seems nothings changed since 1992. Politicians divided over Europe. Laughing
BR
Brekkie
Chris is almost just the continuity announcer in this episode linking to other people doing features - he only really does the competitions and feature with Zig & Zag throughout. They have the two chairs in front of the French windows but I don't think Gaby is ever seen in them - that changes pretty swiftly, with Paula often joining them in the middle later in the show too. How long did Mark Lamarr last - think Paul Ross has replaced him by the end of the year.

That half hour after 8am to with the Geldof report, an interview with a victim of domestic violence and a report on dysentery (followed by Guess the Mess) is more serious than anything we'd see on GMB now.
Last edited by Brekkie on 6 January 2017 12:19am - 2 times in total
SW
Steve Williams
How long did Mark Lamarr last - think Paul Ross has replaced him by the end of the year.

Lamarr lasted six months, he left in March. He didn't especially enjoy doing it and it was a pretty relentless job, but he came back for the first anniversary show and I still think the clip on the Big Breakfast video when he gets a family to do a haka in their front room is one of my favourite moments on it. I remember on his last day they presented him with the atlas from the back of the van.

Paul Ross then did it for about five months and it felt like it was a role nobody did for very long because it was so tiring and inconvient. But then Cheggers did it for ages.
MA
mannewskev
Fridays on Down Your Doorstep often seemed to be pre-recorded, certainly in the show's early years. The giveaway in 1995 was when the 7:30 competition was done from wherever the OB with Richard Orford was that morning from Monday to Thursday, but was done from the house on the Friday.
BR
Brekkie
I never noticed that. Did Mark Lamarr ever cover for Chris? If not he'd be the only Down your Doorstep permanent host not to host the main show.

Newer posts