TV Home Forum

The Freeview Thread

Updates and info on the DTT platform (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Great, another retune due to channels I never watch.
RE
Rex

It's cumbersome if your box or TV isn't adding them automatically, but I don't mind retunes.

Expect more with a possible EPG reshuffle, additional new channels and whoever wins the ex-BBC THREE HD spectrum.

It wasn't as drastic as how February to May went last year, where BBC THREE's closure set off multiple side effects across Freeview.
MA
Markymark

Don't retune then, unless you suddenly find you've lost something you do watch
LL
London Lite Founding member
I can't remember the last time I really needed to retune? I really only watch the main HD channels.
RE
Rex
I can't remember the last time I really needed to retune? I really only watch the main HD channels.

The last time I've had to retune was when the Craft Channel was removed since they ran out of money to continue broadcasting on Freeview, not to mention internal conflict (which resonated into administration).

Considering that tenders for the 9pm - 7am slots on PSB3 ended last month and are due to be announced possibly this month or February (March 2017 is the date set for the HD channel to launch), who will win the slot?
BR
Brekkie

I only tend to retune now if it's forced upon me, which still seems to happen occassionally. Suspect I haven't retuned since the end of the Olympics and I think the minor channels sort themselves out unless they swap muxes.

There are times though when it seems channel changes are happening practically weekly and really as a platform Freeview should be co-ordinated better than that.
MA
Markymark

The last time I've had to retune was when the Craft Channel was removed

Why did you need to retune, for something that had vanished ?
RE
Rex

I own a NOW TV Smart Box and as it stands it doesn't retune automatically - my Samsung TV does though.
NG
noggin Founding member

Some sets will retain the EPG channel entry, and as you surf through you'll get an annoying error message. Much better to remove the channel from the EPG.
IS
Inspector Sands
The biggest problem with retuning for me is that I only really use a PVR and it removes all the timed recordings. What I tend to do is retune the TV first and see what's changed
MA
Markymark
The biggest problem with retuning for me is that I only really use a PVR and it removes all the timed recordings. What I tend to do is retune the TV first and see what's changed

Yes, and some PVRs ( here's looking at you Humax) don't allow a specific mux only scan, and will only do a complete rescan. Top tip for the recording schedule, take a shot of the screen with your phone before a rescan !
DV
DVB Cornwall
So what changes have occurred today? I can't detect anything. There are no tell-tale 790's around either.

Newer posts