TV Home Forum

Sky Box office being shutdown Jan 4th

Sky to shutdown Box Office channels after 20 years (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
Sky have said on multiple occasions they will "look at" sending Blu-Ray disks out but I suspect it could be argued the HD copy that you keep on your box (that you can delete and restore as needs be) serves as your Blu-Ray/HD copy or digital copy, and the DVD is for every other TV.

Problem is you would lose access if you left Sky to that copy on the box.

It's like Royston Vasey, you can never leave...at least without losing your access to HD Movies.

20 days later

RE
Rex
For Sky Cinema Box Office HD, final day's listings for 3rd January:

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.dll?h=35&a=2&lz=0&ch=50524&cname=Sky%20Cinema%20Box%20Office%20HD&el=http%3a%2f%2fdigiguide%2etv%2fgeneral%2fliteads%2feg1%2f
RE
Rex
Tonight is the final night of Sky Cinema Box Office - Sky is finally retiring them in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Doubt there will be any grand send off at all to be honest. Virtually many have moved to Sky Store or other rental services on the net.
NW
nwtv2003
Although I've not had chance to view the channels yet they're all listed as Programmes No Longer Available.

Hopefully there'll be some logical EPG reshuffle from Sky due soon.
RE
Rex
Although I've not had chance to view the channels yet they're all listed as Programmes No Longer Available.

Hopefully there'll be some logical EPG reshuffle from Sky due soon.

They'll be due for removal any minute with the '...programmes no longer available' listing.

In retrospect, Sky Box Office was a decent PPV service for its day - it fell through in the end with many preferring to use the Sky Store and other rental services. I also liked the pres of Box Office as well, especially in the mid to late 2000s. Made you feel like you were on a ticket to see the latest and greatest.

There's now a huge block of EPG slots available with the closure of the Box Office channels. With at least one HD channel pulled off the air this morning (SBO HD) and several SD channels, Sky could definitely use it to launch a new channel at least. Also ensures that they don't have to look to Sky2 as a channel propped off for replacement.
RO
Rob793
The SBO HD channel bandwidth was always reassigned to Sky Sports Box Office HD when on air.

However, the HD channel is now off air as well as 743 SD - just blue screen.

700-715 and 744 are all showing a simulcast of the "Sky Movies Box Office has closed" barker on repeat.
RE
Rex
The SBO HD channel bandwidth was always reassigned to Sky Sports Box Office HD when on air.

700-715 and 744 are all showing a simulcast of the "Sky Movies Box Office has closed" barker on repeat.

Ah. Didn't know about that.

What's the closedown barker like visually on the SBO channels right now?
RO
Rob793

It's exactly the same as the one forewarning people that the service was closing, just reworded to say "has now closed", the one with the dog and popcorn carton.

Incidentally, I caught this being aired over the Christmas period in advance of closure once or twice!
RE
Rex

It's exactly the same as the one forewarning people that the service was closing, just reworded to say "has now closed", the one with the dog and popcorn carton.

Incidentally, I caught this being aired over the Christmas period in advance of closure once or twice!

Visually the same as the YouTube video in the OP, with an amended message - ah.

With multiple Sky Box Office channels culled, I wonder what Sky will do with the bandwidth for the SD channels. It's obvious that the closure will lead to a reorganisation of the 700s.
CA
Caly123

The dog is actually called Gidget from the movie The Secret Life of Pets.
MY
MY83
No.
CO
Colorband
Come on, don't be so negative; there's always a non-zero chance, after all.

Newer posts