TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Jonny posted:
No-one can engage with a clock.

You also can't broadcast an accurate one these days.

Very true, though they don't seem to worry about that on the radio and the GTS on DAB, and the other digital platforms [1], or on the telly still on NYE. I always get strange looks when I give Mrs Markymark a kiss seemingly 9 seconds too early.

To be honest, would it really matter ?

[1] Even FM is now 80 to 100ms late, since the distribution network provision was changed
last year
AN
Andrew Founding member
msim posted:
I really can't fathom how in just 20 years we have gone from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2sdnMmups0

...to introducing the news with a load of flabby arses.

Is this a dream?

It's a 20 year old clip and of course times change and it's very easy to look back at the things you've liked in the past but just look at that clip. That whole sequence of the clock, the visuals, music and the headline rundown just scream authority and trust the two things the BBC should aspire to more than anything else. It brings a tingle to the spine and a real sense of importance. How could we have serious news (which there will be over the next months) introduced by those fat arses standing in the cold sea? Disgraceful!

The BBC don't seem comfortable with their own image

On one hand they like to push how they are *the* BBC, with the best drama, lots of new programming, British made, high quality news etc.

On the other hand, they seem to want to distance themselves from this and be like everyone else, with more commercial/more ITV presentation, be inclusive, down to earth, working class etc.

I don't know why they don't just embrace the former, as any attempt at the latter always falls on its face.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
msim posted:

How could we have serious news (which there will be over the next months) introduced by those fat arses standing in the cold sea? Disgraceful!

We can't. Best solution (and cheap) for the lead in to the news is the NBH balcony shot, and a voice over saying, ' Now on BBC 1 the BBC News with Huw Edwards That would only be 25 years behind more or less what ITN used to do, for the first couple of years at GIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxAu5vUwyZo

Not unlike how Look North used to work in the balloons era.

Balloon pictures with LN headline vamp building "this is BBC 1"

Cut to studio pictures, wide shot with lights fading up "Look North is presented by Clare Frisby and Harry Gration"

Cut to MCU of Harry and into the headlines.
:-(
A former member
msim posted:
I really can't fathom how in just 20 years we have gone from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2sdnMmups0

...to introducing the news with a load of flabby arses.

Is this a dream?

It's a 20 year old clip and of course times change and it's very easy to look back at the things you've liked in the past but just look at that clip. That whole sequence of the clock, the visuals, music and the headline rundown just scream authority and trust the two things the BBC should aspire to more than anything else. It brings a tingle to the spine and a real sense of importance. How could we have serious news (which there will be over the next months) introduced by those fat arses standing in the cold sea? Disgraceful!

On one hand they like to push how they are *the* BBC, with the best drama, lots of new programming, British made, high quality news etc.

On the other hand, they seem to want to distance themselves from this and be like everyone else, with more commercial/more ITV presentation, be inclusive, down to earth, working class etc.

I don't know why they don't just embrace the former, as any attempt at the latter always falls on its face.

This is exactly their problem. They seem afraid to be bold and dynamic. Everything is safe. They have no pride in their own brand.
WA
watchingtv
msim posted:

How could we have serious news (which there will be over the next months) introduced by those fat arses standing in the cold sea? Disgraceful!

We can't. Best solution (and cheap) for the lead in to the news is the NBH balcony shot, and a voice over saying, ' Now on BBC 1 the BBC News with Huw Edwards That would only be 25 years behind more or less what ITN used to do, for the first couple of years at GIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxAu5vUwyZo

Not unlike how Look North used to work in the balloons era.

Balloon pictures with LN headline vamp building "this is BBC 1"

Cut to studio pictures, wide shot with lights fading up "Look North is presented by Clare Frisby and Harry Gration"

Cut to MCU of Harry and into the headlines.

I really like (before the integrated news hour) the ident and news merged.
SP
Spencer

And yet the new idents seem surprisingly un-diverse in terms of the ethnicity of the people featured in them.
TC
TCOTV
As my mate said the point of these idents and the oneness tagline is to unite people. Which they do. They unite people as we all think they are S**t. Well done BBC. Rolling Eyes
RE
Rex
TCOTV posted:
As my mate said the point of these idents and the oneness tagline is to unite people. Which they do. They unite people as we all think they are S**t. Well done BBC. Rolling Eyes

It's irony at its finest. This looks like a vanity project to be honest. These 'idents' won't last.
:-(
A former member

RO
Rory
^ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
CA
Cavan
I really like the surrounding presentation. The new menu/trail endboard backgrounds look nice and the dark red and white compliment each other very well. I also like the new logo animation - it's very fluid and a good evolution of the original swirls.

However, neither of the two idents (plus their variants) fit these other elements; they stick out like a sore thumb and are abysmal. The camera work is quite shoddy and the audio - or lack thereof - leaves a lot to be desired. They are just boring idents. I also highly doubt anybody would want to see rows of flab and chest hair while eating their lunch or breakfast.

As the above clip shows, the English regions appear to have been given copies of the 'Sea Swimmers' ident. That's all well and good but the BBC seem to be forgetting that, for some regions, perhaps this ident isn't exactly relevant. The Midlands or Yorkshire anyone?
WI
Wicko
Here's a thought: the last BBC in-house creation for BBC1 was the beautiful (and my all time favourite) COW globe. Haven't they come a long way? Smile

Newer posts