TV Home Forum

How can BBC1 create a decent presentation?

Its now at a complete lost in its identity. (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
42 pages within 36 hours of those two awful executed idents? I have never seen anything like that on this forum. It has highlighted a number of problems, especial with BBC1 and what it role should be and how it should be seen by the public and the world.

BBC1, has some real problems now, what the point in it nowadays? public service commitments? where is it? kids shows are on two other channels, some of its high class docs are on BBC4, regional programmes are dead bar wales, NI and Scotland. Plant Earth? some cooking shows?

Its complaints of it being a bit to much like ITV is well just, its NOT the first time, back in the early 80s it was dire. Dallas was its highest rated show. It took compete overhaul and Micheal grade to get the ball rolling, and by 86 it was on the up again.

The BBC is suppose to bring the world to your living room, like its makes clear itself:

BBC mission: To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain.
[b]BBC vision: To be the most creative organisation in the world.

Its dam well clear nothing from its idents it doesn't comply with its mission or vision, but in a way it does reflect the current problems. There are some great programmes on the BBC but there some stuff which shouldn't be on the channel.

I like the balloon, because back in 1997 it was up-to date and it told us what the BBC1 was, it reached all parts of the UK rural and urban and it brought the world into your living room no matter what.

Quote:
Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC ONE, said: "We aim to capture the essence of the new spirit that is alive on BBC ONE, and reflect it in the new channel’s new identity. Whatever your age, wherever you live and whoever you are, rhythm and movement are common to everyone. BBC ONE should have that same universal appeal."

I can now fully understand why she went this way, remember she also brought back Doctor who so shes not all bad. The matter of the fact is unless we know what good BBC1 is, I doubt anyone can move forward and create something to push said brand? There is nothing stopping the globe returning but it would need to be in a way that helps BBC1 and also say were bringing the world to you, were different to ITV because, we like pushing the edges like ch4 but its well polished up market.

Maybe it time for complete overhaul off ALL BBC channels to link them together? Maybe that one way of sorting this out? I see people suggesting stuff but some of other idents from around the world also don't cut the mustered.

The old Press release for 2002: just incase you want to read more of that:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/03_march/26/bbconeident.shtml
Quote:

BBC ONE launches vibrant new look
BBC ONE today (Tuesday 26 March) unveiled a new, energetic and vibrant on-screen look which puts it firmly in step with contemporary life.

Capoeira - one of the new BBC ONE idents

The new channel idents explore the universal theme of rhythm, dance and movement through different activities, moods and world cultures. From the power and grace of a Brazilian dance to the raw energy of a festival, from the high elegance of ballet to the speed and agility of basketball players, the idents bring a new feel to BBC ONE.

Shot on location around the UK, the films capture stunning urban and rural backdrops and subtly use red, the channel’s vibrant colour identity, to match a new on screen logo. The films will also have a common musical theme, but each individual ident will have its own arrangement of the theme to reflect the specific idents.

Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC ONE, said: "We aim to capture the essence of the new spirit that is alive on BBC ONE, and reflect it in the new channel’s new identity. Whatever your age, wherever you live and whoever you are, rhythm and movement are common to everyone. BBC ONE should have that same universal appeal."

Hip Hop - a new BBC ONE identThe new idents will replace the image of the BBC ONE balloon. Lorraine Heggessey said: "I have shared viewers’ enjoyment of the graceful progress of the balloon over British landmarks for the last five years, but it’s time to move on and bring a fresh feel to the channel."

The channel will initially launch with eight new idents, and a further series will be produced later this spring. Introduced for the first time, on the bottom-left of the screen, is the new red and white BBC ONE logo.

The idents will launch on-air on the morning of 29 March 2002.

From launch date viewers will be able to see the following executions:

Capoeira - A Brazilian dance, it is a unique movement bringing together beauty, power, mental and physical balance, self-defence, music and art. The camera circles around two Capoeira performers enhancing the sense of rhythm and movement. Dressed in red and white, the performers demonstrate various Capoeira moves on a rooftop against a dramatic London backdrop.

Haka - The Haka, a traditional Maori dance, taking the form of art and movement using hands, feet, legs, body, voice, tongue and eyes. The ident begins focused close up on the face of Maori, Jo Hutley. The camera draws back revealing 14 more rugby players performing the haka and dressed in red and black striped rugby shirts. The ident was filmed on location in Gilfach Goch, Wales.

Festival - Festival begins close-up on two young women. The camera pulls back to reveal the two women dancing and jumping amongst a crowd at a music festival. The ident was filmed at night in Bovingdon Airfield, Hertfordshire.

Salsa - Filmed in Sarratt, Hertfordshire and against a backdrop decorated in red, the camera focuses on a couple dancing salsa. The camera pulls away to reveal a large group of dancing couples enjoying the fluidity of the salsa rhythm and movement.

Ballet - a new BBC ONE ident
Ballet - Filmed at the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, the ident features 10 ballerinas dressed entirely in red. The camera moves acround the Minack stage where the ballerinas perform a graceful dance, revealing the dramatic Cornish coastline.

Hip Hop - The camera starts close in on Ade (Adepitan), our lead dancer, and pulls back to reveal three basketball players dancing in their wheelchairs to a hip-hop theme on a stunning basketball court. The ident was filmed at Shepperton Studios, Middlesex.

Tapdogs - In a giant industrial setting, six dancers tap dance on and around metal ladders. The ident was shot at Littlebrook Power Station near Dartford, Kent.

Acrobats - One acrobat dressed in white, suspended from the ceiling and wrapped in a red sash, tumbles into the camera. The camera pulls back to reveal three acrobats performing on sashes against the spectacular roof of the Royal Horticultural Halls in Victoria.

Jane Scott, Controller of TV Marketing, says: "Idents are a crucially important part of any channel’s make up, and these films are contemporary and immediate, beautiful and energetic and will hopefully make viewers feel that the channel is much more in tune with their lives.

"Lambie-Nairn have brilliantly captured the essence of BBC ONE, the idents reflect the modernity and progression of the channel, while continuing to demonstrate that the channel is recognisable, familiar and has broad appeal."

The new identities have been created by the award-winning brand identity expert Martin Lambie-Nairn and his team, working closely with Jane Scott and BBC Broadcast. The music composed by Peter Lawler; directed by Andy Margetson; produced by Matthew Kitchin of 2am Films. They will replace the current idents, also designed by Lambie-Nairn, which were introduced five years ago in 1997.
Last edited by A former member on 2 January 2017 1:54pm - 3 times in total
CR
Critique
The idents are terrible, but I'd hardly say that we're at the point where 'what is the point in [BBC One]?' is a valid question - I think you're taking a decline in the quality of idents as representative of BBC One being in dire straits, when that's not really the case! It's ridiculous to question the public service commitments of the channel; in terms of regional programming, whilst the local news has faced cuts, I think broadly they've got the bulletins across the board at good times and decent lengths. The BBC local news teams do good work, and go further than ITV with more local news during Breakfast, an opt during Sunday Politics, the special debates and programmes ahead of elections, and Inside Out (whilst yes perhaps a token offering) trundles on as ever, and in primetime rather than the monthly politics shows the ITV regions get. Within the past year we've also seen a few regions opt out beyond this, with South West producing Coastal Walks or whatever it was called, which was of good enough quality to later get a national showing (albeit I think on BBC Two). It's a shame Late Kick Off is no more, in the sense that it was a decent local programming commitment, but the BBC don't have the rights for that now either way.

Looking at the BBC One schedule for the next week also shows that they're hardly abandoning their commitments to 'inform, educate and entertain' as you suggest. Looking purely at primetime, today and tomorrow see the return of the ever-popular Silent Witness, Wednesday has a documentary series on Italy (not on BBC Four...), on Thursday Death in Paradise is back and on Friday they're showing an FA Cup match - hardly slim pickings, with comedy (albeit yes repeats at the moment) or stuff like new Mastermind or A Question of Support filling the shorter slots in primetime this week.

So then, how is BBC One looking? Visually, terrible. Programming-wise, not bad at all. Yes as always there will be room for improvement, and it would be nice to see some new programmes rather than new series of stuff that has ran for ages (series 47 of Not Going Out I'm looking at you!), but if people are still watching ultimately that's not too much of a bad thing. Ultimately, I think you're looking for quantity of programming, rather than quality, hence why you've been so quick to sort of disregard Planet Earth in a 'is that it?' way - amongst young people it outrated X-Factor and was a fantastic show, and I would say it ticked all three boxes of the BBC's 'mission'. I don't know what you really mean by 'Its dam well clear nothing from its idents it doesn't comply with its mission or vision' bit you really are taking the idents as too literal a representation of programming!
bilky asko, channelsurfer and eanok gave kudos
A former member
I get your point, I see you do agree in some respect about some of its programmes but what I was trying to say but as its me I always come across badly at time, is I was mainly pointing out BBC1 in the current context; its has lost some of its content to digital channels so it has to now fill its time with stuff, and that does begs the question, should it try and reclaim stuff? I do prefers quality over quantity of programming, but I still want some good amount of quality.

I still think I have a point in what does BBC1 do for us the viewers in the grand scheme of things? its building block that made that channels have been moved. BBC has had to fight back to get new building blocks and as you rightly pointed out FA cup etc. I agree whole heartily at Plant earth!!!

How does BBC 1 get a new ident/presentation unless we fully know what BBC1 is truly about? Where it going over the next 10 years? the likes of Saturday Kitchen or Let it shine has no place on BBC1, it just pure dire copies of other stuff.

After that point then it can be said does the channel need a symbol again? That another problem the channels with logos always seem to do better in presentation than those without.

Remember what BBC 2 did? branding did all the difference:

Last edited by A former member on 2 January 2017 2:30pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
How does BBC 1 get a new ident/presentation unless we fully know what BBC1 is truly about? Where it going over the next 10 years? the likes of Saturday Kitchen or Let it shine has no place on BBC1, it just pure dire copies of other stuff.

The musical talent shows did quite a lot for musical theatre though didn't they? Pretty good public service television if that's the case.
JA
JAS84
So, because we now have bad idents, you think the channel as a whole is bad? That brings to mind the 1986 TWO ident. When it got replaced by the first set of 2s in 1991, people thought the channel was cooler and more modern all of a sudden, rather than high brow. But it's programmes were still the same!
A former member
The musical talent shows did quite a lot for musical theatre though didn't they? Pretty good public service television if that's the case.

Alot of people from the Xfactor, BGT and pop idol have also gone into the musical theatre Wink

JAS84 posted:
So, because we now have bad idents, you think the channel as a whole is bad? That brings to mind the 1986 TWO ident. When it got replaced by the first set of 2s in 1991, people thought the channel was cooler and more modern all of a sudden, rather than high brow. But it's programmes were still the same!

Snap as I just edited my last post to included the rebrand of 1991. What Im trying to say BBC1 has lost some of its remit, that clearly true, but what Im trying to get across is, how should it replace those parts.

Then if you look at the branding it needs to reflect BBC1 as a whole., if people can get what i mean?
BR
Brekkie
Part of the reason the idents absolutely fail is because they don't reflect the quality of the channel as it is now. As much as I hated them closing BBC3 to fund drama on BBC1 you can very much see the results of that decision on screen and I would say 2016 was probably one of the strongest years for drama the BBC has had in a generation with both BBC1 and BBC2 having strong dramas in their schedules almost week in week out.

I also think they're trying at least to get entertainment back on track - Michael McIntyre's Big Show will hopefully give them the confidence to fight for Saturday nights once again outside Strictly season. Factual is always relatively strong, as are current affairs in comparison to the other PSBs.

There are areas lacking for sure - they need to seriously invest in comedy on primetime BBC1 - and IMO investing in half a dozen comedies that flop would be worth it in exchange for the one comedy that doesn't. Sport has sadly been decimated in recent years at the BBC, but that's a much bigger issue than BBC1. CBBC and CBeebies are strong but I agree there should still be a place for some childrens content on BBC1 - i.e. a Saturday morning show in place of bloody Saturday Kitchen.
Jeffmister and Custard56 gave kudos
JA
Jake
A unified logo style for the main channels would go a long way, I think their radio branding is excellent.
ToasterMan, orange and Jonny gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross

I also think they're trying at least to get entertainment back on track - Michael McIntyre's Big Show will hopefully give them the confidence to fight for Saturday nights once again outside Strictly season.

Good - glad you mentioned Mr M. Something I've been needing to get off my chest. Can someone explain why BBC One ran this show directly after Strictly?

Given this show has the potential to shoulder the Saturday night schedule in the post 'still dark Saturday nights' post Strictly slump - to run it right after Strictly was a curious one.

OK so it chipped away at the numbers and share percentage of X-Factor, but, I'd rather have 8 weeks of McIntyre (as a scheduler, rather than a viewer - I can't stand the prat) to get the viewers in between 7-8pm until Mid-February, than as a pre-Christmas Strictly/McIntyre jugonaunt to drive upto the ITV lawns and park on it with the hazard lights flashing.
</rant>
Back on topic.
For my opinion - all the new idents need is a splash of colour (red for example), and a decent but humable soundtrack. The idea of reflecting the UK is sound one, if there is a mix of straight, serious and quirky films. At least they play all the way through the CA, with only the BBC One caption to spoil the view. It would have been easy to play the lazy card and frost or blur the screen when the BBC One logo appears.

Oh, and use either 'The One To Watch' or 'Oneness' as your station strap line/positioner - not both at the same time, in the same junction.
BR
Brekkie
The first series ran in the Spring so to get two series a year the second one would almost always have to go out in the autumn. It's no different to running Doctor Who after Strictly - that could in theory at least hold it's own in January.

Also it let them dominate the night - something Saturday nights used to be about. It was always about programming back to back, not having one thriller and the rest filler.
CA
Cando

Alot of people from the Xfactor, BGT and pop idol have also gone into the musical

Ahh yes X Factor the musical was such a roaring success....
CA
Cando
The first series ran in the Spring so to get two series a year the second one would almost always have to go out in the autumn.

Indeed I think there is another series this Spring.

Newer posts