TV Home Forum

BBC Oneness - idents and presentation

"Watch this space" as BBC Creative respond to ident change request (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Caly123
These 'oneness' idents are of the worst BBC One idents in history! Should've kept the circles or brought back the balloon idents.
CN
ClarkNarvas
The idents would of been fine if it would of looked like someones home video, Reason? If they are going for the "show a persons british life" theme which they are it would be sensible for them to do it.
RO
Rofters
Any similarities here?

CN
ClarkNarvas

Loads.
NB
NextBigThing
I consider myself one of the lucky ones who is old enough to remember the golden days of TV pres in the 80's & 90's. Indeed it was the quality, creativity & imagination of BBC idents specifically that got me interested in this rather 'niche' topic in the first place. Having followed this thread with interest over the years as a guest, today is the first time I've felt strongly enough to register as a member in order to vent my frustration and sadness at the current state of so-called presentation by our national broadcaster.

Watching BBC One today, so far I have seen a totally banal, charmless and instantly forgettable set of 'exciting new idents', two trailers for Sherlock and Death In Paradise that end with the falling 'O' motif from the previous package, and a now-and-next slide with the red BBC One box that is a hangover from the rhythm and dance era. Meanwhile, on BBC Two they are still using Christmas presentation and endboards to promote BBC Films, even though we are back to the normal retro pres package.

The whole thing is a complete and utter shambles. It just smacks of amateurism and a complete lack of care or attention to the most basic details in putting a consistent and coherent message across. As many have said on here, creativity is free and clever execution of a good idea needn't cost much, so I don't buy the 'money is tight' excuse.

Is there anyone on this forum who works in the BBC that please can explain to me the kind of management style and mentality that is in charge these days? It's almost as if the entire creative staff, channel managers and senior team have some kind of collective denial about what they are passing-off as a distinctive and professional brand image.

I completely despair.
DB
dbl
It just looks unfinished compared to what we've just had!
JR
jrmswell
This thread, how oh so optimistic it started but I totally agree. Taking a handicam somewhere and slapping the logo on it is a crime that even the cheapest productions manage to avoid.

It's becoming increasingly less and less expensive to make something good to the point where one person in their bedroom could probably do something as intricate as the circles ident on next to no budget
Stuart and Footballer gave kudos
CU
Custard56
To be honest, looking back I don't think the rhythm and movement idents were really that bad, they were filmed well, they kept the red branding and identity of BBC One and they had a very good soundtrack, the only problem was that they replaced a legendary set of idents so were effectively doomed from the start. This package on the other hand is just complete and utter tripe.

I agree. They look exceptional compared to these new lame excuses for idents. And there were still one or two beautiful ones in amongst the mix - the skateboarders along the wharf often used to introduce the news being a favourite of mine.

Lorraine Heggessey can be happy today: the baton / title of BBC One controller (or channel editor or whatever it's now called) to introduce the worst idents in BBC One history has been well and truly passed on to Charlotte Moore.
TO
tomo359
I consider myself one of the lucky ones who is old enough to remember the golden days of TV pres in the 80's & 90's. Indeed it was the quality, creativity & imagination of BBC idents specifically that got me interested in this rather 'niche' topic in the first place. Having followed this thread with interest over the years as a guest, today is the first time I've felt strongly enough to register as a member in order to vent my frustration and sadness at the current state of so-called presentation by our national broadcaster.

Watching BBC One today, so far I have seen a totally banal, charmless and instantly forgettable set of 'exciting new idents', two trailers for Sherlock and Death In Paradise that end with the falling 'O' motif from the previous package, and a now-and-next slide with the red BBC One box that is a hangover from the rhythm and dance era. Meanwhile, on BBC Two they are still using Christmas presentation and endboards to promote BBC Films, even though we are back to the normal retro pres package.

The whole thing is a complete and utter shambles. It just smacks of amateurism and a complete lack of care or attention to the most basic details in putting a consistent and coherent message across. As many have said on here, creativity is free and clever execution of a good idea needn't cost much, so I don't buy the 'money is tight' excuse.

Is there anyone on this forum who works in the BBC that please can explain to me the kind of management style and mentality that is in charge these days? It's almost as if the entire creative staff, channel managers and senior team have some kind of collective denial about what they are passing-off as a distinctive and professional brand image.

I completely despair.

First of all, welcome to TV Forum and happy new year Smile

Secondly, I totally agree with your post. There just seems to be no care or thought going into BBC presentation nowadays.

Say what you like about ITV, but they got their 2013 rebrand spot on in terms of making everything all work together, look modern and simple, yet each channel had a unique identity.

Maybe this what BBC needs, completely start again with pres for all channels. It's such as mess with BBC One being a text logo, BBC Two sometimes being a box logo, sometimes no box, CBBC having the weird square logo like BBC Three, none of it works together. If they did a cross channel promo now it would look awful.

I know this will not happen for a long time, if ever the way things seem to be going. It's such a shame seeing what's happening to our loved broadcaster.
Stuart, Richard and Custard56 gave kudos
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Here's to witness the first ident:

Now on BBC1, we head over to the newsroom with sad news about the Queen Mother. Shocked
LL
London Lite Founding member
It's a shame they didn't follow the theme of the Christmas idents by having the public introduce the shows at least during the peak shows.

All these idents shout to me is that the BBC is short of money thanks to the licence fee freeze, so we came up with some cheap looking idents and a tacky strap with the 'oneness' nonsense.
Stuart, Custard56 and dbl gave kudos
CR
Critique
Why are they only showing two idents? From what I can make out on here and from looking at the stream on iPlayer, they've only shown variants of the dancers ident, or the one with the people in the sea - it's been mentioned that there are 24 idents, as bad as they may be at the very least use them!

Newer posts