TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
As we were speaking about Christmas, did they ever change the final line of the chorus on the Friday song to something that fitted with the 8-10 shows? I've got a Friday song from the 22nd December 2000 where it sounds like some are singing the final line of the chorus as normal and others are singing alternate lyrics.

I've only ever heard "and stick with us from 7 until 9" with Johnny sometimes adding ("or 8 till 10 sometimes") deliberately awkwardly.

The Large Breakfast theme was originally intended for the final titles but dropped at the last minute as they didn't think it gelled.

This theme's a bit of fun but they were actually going to use it for real..?

That's what I was told years ago - in fact I'm sure the person that told me actually sent a clean copy, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking for that!
FC
Flux Capacitor
As we were speaking about Christmas, did they ever change the final line of the chorus on the Friday song to something that fitted with the 8-10 shows? I've got a Friday song from the 22nd December 2000 where it sounds like some are singing the final line of the chorus as normal and others are singing alternate lyrics.

I've only ever heard "and stick with us from 7 until 9" with Johnny sometimes adding ("or 8 till 10 sometimes") deliberately awkwardly.

I'm a long time lurker on here who used to post on the Brekkie Network forums back in the day. Good times! Thought I'd join in this conversation as I distinctly remember this version of the Friday Song chorus from one year's pre-records:

Singing wakey, wakey, wakey once again
Happy Christmas from our Johnny and our Den
It's your number one Big Brekkie
So get it down your nekkie
And stick with us from eight o'clock 'till ten

Don't ask me WHY I remember it, probably because it was so bad and so stood out, but it had definitely been dropped the following year in favour of keeping the bulk of the chorus the same but changing the last line to "Stick with us from 8 to 10 and you'll be fine"
JB
JasonB
Welcome to the forums! That sounds like it could be from Christmas 1997?
BR
Brekkie
Sure it was "Singing Wakey Wakey Wakey once again", then ended "Stick with us from Eight o'clock till Ten", but can't remember the second line. It usually ended up a bit of a mess due to most the crew singing the regular version.

(Flux has filled in the gaps)
JB
JasonB
Didn't they also change the chorus for the New Year's Eve show in 1999? There was a transcript of it on the brekkie network if I recall which had different lyrics.
JC
JCB
And also, if that 2001 relaunch had better presenters, it would have killed.

Agree and still think they bailed out too early. Unlike 1996 there were a few positives with the 2001 relaunch, one of them being the return to short snappy features

The short snappy features were **** though. The show was trying to be cool and it was embarrassing to watch.
BR
Brekkie
JCB posted:
And also, if that 2001 relaunch had better presenters, it would have killed.

Agree and still think they bailed out too early. Unlike 1996 there were a few positives with the 2001 relaunch, one of them being the return to short snappy features

The short snappy features were **** though. The show was trying to be cool and it was embarrassing to watch.

In all honesty the short snappy features were always ****, but the idea originally was they never hung around more than 5 minutes.
SW
Steve Williams
I believe The Big Breakfast was live on Christmas Day 1992, but all subsequent years were pre-records.

The following two years saw Christmas Day fall on a weekend, but there was certainly a special shown on Christmas Day 1994, "The Big Christmas Breakfast" which was an hour long pre-record shown in the afternoon rather than morning. I think I have it on VHS somewhere, hosted by Paul, Mark and Gaby - it was the first time the standby blooper reel was shown, which resurfaced on The Biggest Breakfast Ever.

As mentioned, that was actually at 9.25 - and was the only time Paul and Mark presented together. At 5.30 that afternoon, though, they showed Zig and Zag Entertainment Cops, which I really enjoyed (but the series eighteen months later was rubbish, they'd lost it by then). There was also an hour long show on Christmas Eve 1995, dunno why.

For the first Christmas it was live every weekday from 7-9 as usual, including Christmas Day, and then there were three live shows in just over 24 hours with programmes on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, plus the the New Year's Eve show at 11.30pm of course. The New Year's Day show was definitely live, too, I remember watching it, and they played the first ever Spot The Sausage during it.

In 1993, there were the first pre-records the week after Christmas (but not on Christmas Day which was a Saturday). Those days the first hour was Zig and Zag linking cartoons and the second hour was mostly clips with a few games and features between them, I remember some old Families of the Week coming in and the crew doing Dish The Dirt. I really loved those shows actually, but the show was at the height of its powers in those days.

I lost interest completely in later years but I remember in 1996 the pre-records ran 9-10, cos the show was dying on its arse at the time.
SJ
sjames
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this so far, but listening back to Chris Moyles Breakfast Show on Radio X from a couple of weeks ago, and there was a discussion about how Channel 4 apparently filmed a pilot for a relaunch of the Big Breakfast a few years ago with Chris Moyles and newsreader Dom.

I wonder why it was never picked up?
WH
Whataday Founding member
A Chris Moyles hosted Big Breakfast was what Planet 24 submitted as The BB's replacement in 2001 - I expect that's what was being referred to.

He was also a guest host in the shows dying days:

Perhaps not surprising C4 didn't go for it.
Last edited by Whataday on 29 December 2016 9:42am
FA
fanoftv
As part of the radio x info he said that filmed it in the big brother (presumably he meant big breakfast) house and that Dom would have been present in the house. Strangely Dom wasn't sure if they could talk about it all of these years on.

I do wonder what way it would have been different. I'm sure that they mentioned another female presented with him plus they had Melinda Messenger for on the bed interviews. Surely they should have tried a different approach for a morning programme rather than trying to update the old show.

Looking back on it I don't think that the first version of RI:SE was given enough time to bed in.
JC
JCB
As part of the radio x info he said that filmed it in the big brother (presumably he meant big breakfast) house

No, his pilot was done in the old Big Brother house in Bow. He's mentioned this before.

Newer posts