« Topics
Stuart7,247 posts since 13 Oct 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
Nice end tonights late news:

Here it is in action again for today's bulletins. A nice touch, I thought.

Whilst Christian ends with 'Merry Christmas', the caption says 'Happy Christmas'.

Is this because they don't want to be seen as encouraging the sort of festive merry drunken debauchery displayed in Daily Mail articles? Very Happy Razz

tmorgan96 and bkman1990 gave kudos
Aaron_20151,099 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
Is the presenter on BBC News coming down the line rather than being in the studio? In 20 minutes watching the NC I've not seen the presenter, just repeating images of George Michael.

EDIT: Presenter now in vision. Never seen her before, but she's doing very well.
PFMC841,549 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline
She was doing a lot of lip smacking in between sentences and ummed and ahhed between words and also tripped over her words when I watched earlier. Can news presenters not take a few seconds to think of a sentence then say it or are they contractually obliged to speak constantly. It sounds so unprofessional to hear all those noises. I understand it is difficult with a breaking news story but sometimes saying less and coming out with flowing sentences would sound better to viewers.
AlexS739 posts since 19 Oct 2016
Central (East) Midlands Today
She was doing a lot of lip smacking in between sentences and ummed and ahhed between words and also tripped over her words when I watched earlier. Can news presenters not take a few seconds to think of a sentence then say it or are they contractually obliged to speak constantly. It sounds so unprofessional to hear all those noises. I understand it is difficult with a breaking news story but sometimes saying less and coming out with flowing sentences would sound better to viewers.

Her main work over the last few months has been local radio in which I think silence can make stations fall of the air in which case she would have to speak constantly so she may have trained herself into that way of thinking.
i-lied, bkman1990 and 3 others
  • BBCwalestoday
  • NYTV
  • London Lite
gave kudos
PFMC841,549 posts since 28 Feb 2013
UTV Newsline
Quite possibly. I'm not criticising her, just pointing out that more often than not, when news presenters have to speak for themselves and not from the autocue, they seem to just stumble over themselves and ummm a lot and it sounds odd.
cityprod1,966 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
Quite possibly. I'm not criticising her, just pointing out that more often than not, when news presenters have to speak for themselves and not from the autocue, they seem to just stumble over themselves and ummm a lot and it sounds odd.

No more odd than normal. Her brain is trying to listen to what the director is telling her over her earpiece, and at the same time trying to pre-read a script about a second or two before she actually says it, and filter out any reactions or ad-libs that would inappropriate. That's a lot of mental processing that goes on in such a situation.
Markymark6,956 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Her main work over the last few months has been local radio in which I think silence can make stations fall of the air in which case she would have to speak constantly so she may have trained herself into that way of thinking.

The silence detectors are not that trigger happy, normally set to 20 or 30 seconds. There's nothing wrong with silent pauses on the radio, Wogan was a superb exponent of it, but yes local radio particularly has a culture of every microsecond having to have some sort of noise broadcast, regardless whether or not it's just random drivel
noggin14,436 posts since 26 Jun 2001

That's bad training if that is the case. Silence detectors are not configured to be triggered by natural pauses in speech (or music), they need far longer periods of total silence to trigger.
cityprod1,966 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight

The silence detectors are not that trigger happy, normally set to 20 or 30 seconds. There's nothing wrong with silent pauses on the radio, Wogan was a superb exponent of it, but yes local radio particularly has a culture of every microsecond having to have some sort of noise broadcast, regardless whether or not it's just random drivel

All true, but listeners are really unforgiving about silence on air. Pauses of between 2 and 5 seconds will cause some listeners to think the batteries in their radio have gone, or some other similar thought, and most if not all will think something like that after the five second mark, so silence of any kind in radio is not encouraged, unless it is for dramatic effect.
DanielK gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic